Old March 15th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Best HF Vertical

I know I can go to eham.com but I like the advice on rraa better. I also
know that this question is somewhat subjective, but if you will, please
indulge. :-)
What is flat out the best vertical HF antenna in your opinion and why?
Thanks in advance.

west
AF4GC

Old March 15th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"west" wrote in message
I know I can go to eham.com but I like the advice on rraa better. I also
know that this question is somewhat subjective, but if you will, please
indulge. :-)
What is flat out the best vertical HF antenna in your opinion and why?
Thanks in advance.

west
AF4GC

One with a good radial system.

Old March 15th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"west" wrote in message
I know I can go to eham.com but I like the advice on rraa better. I also
know that this question is somewhat subjective, but if you will, please
indulge. :-)
What is flat out the best vertical HF antenna in your opinion and why?
Thanks in advance.

west
AF4GC

IMHO: Take a look at the steppir verticals
http://www.steppir.com/
No traps, coils, capacitors or linear loading of any kind.

Full continuous coverage, including WARC bands-without compromise! 2000 W
PEP Rating.

Used on several DXpeditions with rave reviews

That's the one I would buy if I could put in a good ground radial system -
but I have no room for radials. So don't own one, a friend does and for what
is worth he claims it is the best vertical he has ever owned over 30 years
including, Butternut, Cushcraft, Hustler, Hy-Gain, etc

But the steppir's are pricey $595 and $695

Good luck

CL

Old March 15th 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

On 14 Mar, 18:50, "Caveat Lector" wrote:
"west" wrote in message

[...]

A vertical dipole fed in the center
Art

Old March 15th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

There is such a thing? ;O

Well, my only experience with an HF vertical is the Outbacker on my
truck. Works A-OK on 40M and up, but seems a little weak on 80M (which
doesn't really surprise me!).

Scott
N0EDV

Old March 15th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

west wrote:

I know I can go to eham.com but I like the advice on rraa better. I also
know that this question is somewhat subjective, but if you will, please
indulge. :-)
What is flat out the best vertical HF antenna in your opinion and why?
Thanks in advance.

west
AF4GC

best is any vertical from Force 12 - I got one on 75 meters that beats
everything else I have put up.
got one on 40 meters from Force 12 - beats everything else I have put up.

need I go on?
Old March 15th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
Jet_Li wrote:

best is any vertical from Force 12 - I got one on 75 meters that beats
everything else I have put up.
got one on 40 meters from Force 12 - beats everything else I have put up.

I went to the Force 12 website and clicked on the "Flagpole antennas"
link http://force12inc.com/F12-flagpole-ants-003.htm.

I read the "New 40 Meter Coil" portion of the page with interest --
sounded too good to be true. A moment's use of the calculator showed
that the VSWR figures and the quoted feed point impedances were very
inconsistent -- orders of magnitude wrong. The claimed SWR of 16 for the
unloaded antenna worked out really to be about 850 -- close enough to
infinity for me!

If that's what the "useful A.R.R.L. TLW software" actually indicates,
then the League should withdraw the software. But somehow I suspect that
the software (which I do not have) doesn't predict what the web page
says it does.

I leave it to someone with a copy of EZNEC to see if an 1/8 wave monople
on 40 metres made out of 2 inch diameter tubing really has an input
impedance of about 5 - j460. That part, at least, sounds reasonable to me

David, ex-W8EZE, who hasn't forgotten the formulas for SWR

--
David Ryeburn

To send e-mail, use "ca" instead of "caz".
Old March 15th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

David Ryeburn wrote in
:

In article ,
Jet_Li wrote:

best is any vertical from Force 12 - I got one on 75 meters that
beats everything else I have put up.
got one on 40 meters from Force 12 - beats everything else I have put
up.

I went to the Force 12 website and clicked on the "Flagpole antennas"
link http://force12inc.com/F12-flagpole-ants-003.htm.

I read the "New 40 Meter Coil" portion of the page with interest --
sounded too good to be true. A moment's use of the calculator showed
that the VSWR figures and the quoted feed point impedances were very
inconsistent -- orders of magnitude wrong. The claimed SWR of 16 for
the unloaded antenna worked out really to be about 850 -- close enough
to infinity for me!

Your calc is about right (assuming Zo=50+j0).

If that's what the "useful A.R.R.L. TLW software" actually indicates,
then the League should withdraw the software. But somehow I suspect
that the software (which I do not have) doesn't predict what the web
page says it does.

TLW suffers from some of the same issues as tables in the ARRL handbooks,
but I haven't run Force12's numbers on TLW, I will use my own calculator.

I leave it to someone with a copy of EZNEC to see if an 1/8 wave
monople on 40 metres made out of 2 inch diameter tubing really has an
input impedance of about 5 - j460. That part, at least, sounds
reasonable to me

David, I ran an analysis of a 10m "flagpole" as a multiband antenna, and
the feedpoint impedance is around the 5-j460 if you ignore resistive loss
in the ground system. Force12 might not want to include such in the
analysis as it drives much lower efficiency.

If they did achieve a coil of 10uH with Q=600, the additional R is ~0.7
ohms (about 0.6dB loss in the stated scenario), so their new 6-j22 looks
a reasonable development(apart from the fact it also ignores ground
resistance), and I make the VSWR(50) to be 10 rather than their stated 6.

At the end of the day, the VSWR is not of itself the issue, the issue is
what is the line loss and load impedance presented to the ATU, then the
expected tuner loss.

Their estimate of 2dB line loss for 100' is probably realistic, I make
the loss on 100' of RG213 at 7MHz with load 6-j22 to be 2dB ( try it
yourself at http://www.vk1od.net/tl/tllc.php ), and the load seen by the
ATU is a manageable 8+j3.0. The Z into the line is highly dependent on
the line length, but since Force12 give it, lets look at likely tuner
efficiency. Using W9CF's tuner applet with default configuration, ATU
loss might be around 0.7dB.

This whole scenario predicts an antenna that might be quite acceptable to
people with space or covenant issues, 3.3dB of total loss.

But...

What if ground resistance was 10 ohms, efficiency of the antenna and
line loss though, now with a feed Z of 15.7-j22, loss in the same line is
1dB and input Z is 16+j2. ATU loss might be more like 0.4dB. Total loss
is 5+1+0.4 or 6.4dB.

Although there analysis ignores ground resistance, possibly so as to hide
the efficiency of the loaded radiator, the real situation might only be
3dB worse than they intimate.

Of course, if the coil wasn't as good as they state, the picture is a
little poorer. Similarly, achieving a low ground resistance isn't easy
and the story could be much worse.

Do they have credibility? Perhaps they should have stuck to the QSL card
count method as the quantitative support for the design!

The idea of a flagpole sings when an automatic ATU is placed at its base,
but that doesn't solve the efficiency issue that exists with any Marconi
with low radiation resistance. I wrote an article exploring an unloaded
vertical as a multiband antenna, it is at
http://www.vk1od.net/multibandunload...ical/index.htm and may be of
interest.

Owen
Old March 15th 07, 08:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

David Ryeburn wrote in
:

In article ,
Jet_Li wrote:

best is any vertical from Force 12 - I got one on 75 meters that
beats everything else I have put up.
got one on 40 meters from Force 12 - beats everything else I have put
up.

I went to the Force 12 website and clicked on the "Flagpole antennas"
link http://force12inc.com/F12-flagpole-ants-003.htm.

I read the "New 40 Meter Coil" portion of the page with interest --
sounded too good to be true. A moment's use of the calculator showed
that the VSWR figures and the quoted feed point impedances were very
inconsistent -- orders of magnitude wrong. The claimed SWR of 16 for
the unloaded antenna worked out really to be about 850 -- close enough
to infinity for me!

Ah, but you calculated the VSWR at the load end. They calculated the much
lower VSWR at the source end of the line.

If you were Force12, you probably wouldn't want to publicise the extreme
VSWR that users of the standard flagpole experience in this scenario.

Owen
Old March 15th 07, 08:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:08:30 +0000, west wrote:

I know I can go to eham.com but I like the advice on rraa better. I also
know that this question is somewhat subjective, but if you will, please
indulge. :-)
What is flat out the best vertical HF antenna in your opinion and why?
Thanks in advance.

west
AF4GC

SteppIR. Why use a tuner to match your radio to your antenna, when you can
make your antenna match your radio?

--Teh

The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 07:03 PM
Anyone using ZX GP-2W 12m/17m vertical??? Charlie Antenna 0 October 30th 05 06:46 PM
2,6 & 10 Mtr Vertical? Radio Man Antenna 5 October 25th 04 03:06 AM
Vertical 40m~6m /* frank */ Antenna 4 July 1st 04 02:39 AM
1/4 wave vertical vs. loaded vertical Dave Antenna 6 May 26th 04 01:28 AM