Old July 18th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default OT Maybe

Just went with Windows 7 in my Laptop. I'll see if it will run my scanner
when I have time.

--
Burr
Big, Lean, Mean and Clean

Old July 18th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I found an unopened copy of Windows Vista at a yard sale last week for $10.
The guy said he bought it but then traded his laptop in on one with Windows
7. I've been sitting here all week looking at this WIndows Vista and I
cannot build up the nerve to load it on my Windows XP machine. My Windows XP
works so well I hate to return to the Follies d'Renton and go back at square
one with patches and updates for the next few months trying to get my
computer then to work as well as it works now. If it's not broke don't fix
it. Too bad the MS folks don't smoke test their software before unleashing
it on us.

I know..."no guts, no glory." I am sure there are a few other sayings that
would fit here too.

But jeez I hate to fiddle with something just to have the newest...that
probably is little different from what I got now.

Isn't that the way technology dupes us into buying all this crap in the
first place?

Besides, by the time Internet II replaces the Internet we have now I doubt I
will even own a computer.

GL on Windows 7...hope the transition goes smoothly for you.

Smokey

Old July 19th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"SX-25" wrote in message
m...

I found an unopened copy of Windows Vista at a yard sale last week for
$10. The guy said he bought it but then traded his laptop in on one with
Windows 7.

This is a good trick. Window 7 has not yet been released, IIRC, it's due out
in September. If there's a version of Windows 7 installed on the laptop,
it's either:

1) a beta version that's been hacked (they have shut off all the beta
versions already)

2) a "Release Candidate" version, either hacked or unhacked. If it's not
been hacked, it will expire and quit working the day the official release
comes out.

or

3) a pirate copy of the official release (or a predecessor of it) that was
leaked to the net.

Any way you look at it, the guy that bought the Windows 7 laptop should be
wary of the OS he's running.

or

4) He doesn't have the laptop yet, but has pre-purchased one with a factory
Windows 7 load.

Old July 19th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
No Name

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 22:48:56 UTC, "SX-25"
wrote:

[...]

I would not let VISTA near your computer! No wonder everyone is
downgrading to XP! That is probably why the guy had it for only $10!

"What do you mean there's no movie?"
Old July 19th 09, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"SX-25" wrote in message
m...

I found an unopened copy of Windows Vista at a yard sale last week for
$10. The guy said he bought it but then traded his laptop in on one with
Windows 7. I've been sitting here all week looking at this WIndows Vista

DON'T

Vista is crap that why I got windows 7 early.

7 comes out the 20 of next month, it replaces all the xp's and Vista.

Vista is junk, that's why they came out with 7.

You can make 30 days.

Burr

Old July 19th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"SX-25" wrote in message
m...

I've been sitting here all week looking at this WIndows Vista and I cannot
build up the nerve to load it on my Windows XP machine. My Windows XP
works so well I hate to return to the Follies d'Renton and go back at
square one with patches and updates for the next few months trying to get
my computer then to work as well as it works now. If it's not broke don't
fix it. Too bad the MS folks don't smoke test their software before
unleashing it on us.

I know..."no guts, no glory." I am sure there are a few other sayings that
would fit here too.

But jeez I hate to fiddle with something just to have the newest...that
probably is little different from what I got now.

Depending upon the version of Vista, you could open a can of worms that
would bring a flock of birds your way.

Many pieces of hardware do not, and will not, have drivers for Vista.

Various versions of Vista have extremely restrictive DCMA software that
won't even let you load or play your own ripped mp3 files or pre-recorded
video.

There have also been issues with various application programs not running in
Vista, requiring you to install and run a "virtual machine" to run Windows
XP compliant programs. In addition to this, Vista dropped all "legacy"
support for 16 bit software. This is not normally a problem for most users,
but some have "favorite" screen savers or nostalgic video games that will no
longer run on Vista (or Windows 7 for that matter). Vista will not run most
emulators without tweaking.

Old July 19th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Windows 7 Release Candidate

Notice: Downloads will end August 20

Say sorry I called you a liar Burr.

And this 7 is good until June so I can wait until they get the bugs out
before I buy it.

Old July 19th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I would not let VISTA near your computer! No wonder everyone is
downgrading to XP! That is probably why the guy had it for only $10!

You are very right, I was going back to SX pro when Microsoft put me on
this.

Old July 19th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:

Many pieces of hardware do not, and will not, have drivers for Vista.

Various versions of Vista have extremely restrictive DCMA software that
won't even let you load or play your own ripped mp3 files or pre-recorded
video.

There have also been issues with various application programs not running in
Vista, requiring you to install and run a "virtual machine" to run Windows
XP compliant programs. In addition to this, Vista dropped all "legacy"
support for 16 bit software. This is not normally a problem for most users,
but some have "favorite" screen savers or nostalgic video games that will no
longer run on Vista (or Windows 7 for that matter). Vista will not run most
emulators without tweaking.

A lot of words to say that Vista is a P.O.S. :-)
Old July 19th 09, 02:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Joe from Kokomo" wrote in message
Brenda Ann wrote:

Many pieces of hardware do not, and will not, have drivers for Vista.

Various versions of Vista have extremely restrictive DCMA software that
won't even let you load or play your own ripped mp3 files or pre-recorded
video.

There have also been issues with various application programs not running
in Vista, requiring you to install and run a "virtual machine" to run
Windows XP compliant programs. In addition to this, Vista dropped all
"legacy" support for 16 bit software. This is not normally a problem for
most users, but some have "favorite" screen savers or nostalgic video
games that will no longer run on Vista (or Windows 7 for that matter).
Vista will not run most emulators without tweaking.

A lot of words to say that Vista is a P.O.S. :-)

Ah, but it settles a lot of questions that might have come up as a result of
simply saying that Vista is a P.O.S... some might think that statement
arbitrary and capricious.