Old December 30th 03, 11:42 PM
'Doc

Default What should I start with?

Considering all that you haven't said about what you want
to do, and what you might enjoy about the hobby, the best
advice anyone can give you is to get the equipment that you can
afford, and that will do what you want to do.
Kind of a 'broad' answer? Yep, but it was an even 'broader'
question...
'Doc
Old December 31st 03, 02:48 AM
Bob Miller

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:23:40 -0500,
(
www.activesignals.com) wrote:

I will try this again. With do you think is the best equipment to start
out as a ham. Thanks

It would help to know your name, call sign and license level, or
whether you're still studying for your license.

Your best bet would be a general purpose transceiver that allows you
to sample as much of amateur radio as possible, such as an Icom 706.
It covers all of the high frequency ham bands, 160 through 10 meters,
as well as several vhf/uhf bands, 6 meters, 2 meters and 70
centimeters. It works on the most popular transmitting modes, single
sideband, FM, CW and AM. And has a decent amount of power, about 100
watts out.

With this rig, you can get a good idea of what most hams are doing,
and when you're ready to get more specialized equipment, it's still a
good back-up rig. Price is about $750, plus about $150 for a power
supply.

Any questions?

Bob
k5qwg

Old December 31st 03, 10:46 AM
Reg Edwards

What do you think is the best equipment to start out as a ham?

Start at the begining.

Get yourself a 200-feet reel of 18 awg enamelled copper wire, an empty
toilet roll tube, a 500 pF variable capacitor, a germanium diode, a 470 pF
capacitor, a pair of 4000-ohm headphones, a used 3-hole razor blade, and a
dozen miniature alligator clips.

You will never regret it!
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Old January 4th 04, 09:34 PM
Volker Kerkhoff

Reg Edwards wrote:
What do you think is the best equipment to start out as a ham?

Start at the begining.

Get yourself a 200-feet reel of 18 awg enamelled copper wire, an empty
toilet roll tube, a 500 pF variable capacitor, a germanium diode, a 470 pF
capacitor, a pair of 4000-ohm headphones, a used 3-hole razor blade, and a
dozen miniature alligator clips.

You will never regret it!

That's a hell of a cool answer! Not only to a 10-Year-old, but also to
an adult interested in the radio hobby. It really pays to get to know
the basics and to spend some time on it.

I actually got into radio when my dad was doing SWL, but what really got
me was when my uncle brought me a kit to build myself an AM receiver
thet would work without a battery, and then expained to me how the thing
worked. After that i've been through various stages of the radio hobby,
SWL, Utility, Scanners, on and off through the years and seasons, and
now I'll be going for my "B" license. Wish me sucess, I've only a couple
months to learn before the exam, but my idea is to get the "B" (VHF/UHF)
license first, and then go for the "C" (HF Restricted) in summer with a
bit more of time.