Old June 14th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Martin McCormick

Default Cleveland, Ohio Police Scanner Feed

I looked up scanner feeds for Cleveland, Ohio recently and
found a web site that has one, but I can't seem to find the link to
the streaming audio. I use Linux and, as a computer user who happens
to be blind, the GUI-based browsers such as Netscape and similar don't
work yet. There is an excellent program in Linux called MPlayer whose
latest version is MPlayer-1.0pre8 and it can play most all the common
streaming audio formats such as Windows Media and Realaudio. What one
must do is to find the link using the lynx or similar browser which
usually comes down to a .ram or .asx file. You get that file and use
it as the playlist option in mplayer and everything works fine if you
can get that far. Several people were helpful last year on a couple
of feeds I was looking for so I am asking if anyone knows the feed URL
for the Cleveland site. If it requires flash or shockwave, I am out
of luck, but sometimes, the site simply has more javascript than is
useful and the link can't be teased out of the mess.

Many thanks for any help. I have never been to Cleveland, but
I used to listen when they were on 37.180 MHZ during Sporadic E
openings in the Summer and they would sometimes just boom in to
Oklahoma and Arkansas in the late sixties.
--

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK
Information Technology Division Network Operations Group
Old June 15th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:18:00 -0400,
wrote:

Link Follows, for Real Player according to the site. Don't have RP so I can not
say if its still active.

http://www.cleveland.com/ra/livepolicescanner.ram

Firefox will handle the link with no user intervention - if you have
the real player installed. If you don't have it installed - or at
least have the equivalent installed - nothing will handle it. There's
no "universal" audio standard yet.

Old June 23rd 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:30:21 GMT, "Allan9" wrote:

DO you have a brother that spells his last name differently?

No.

Old June 26th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Martin McCormick

In article ,
wrote:
http://www.cleveland.com/ra/livepolicescanner.ram

My thanks to you and to the person who asked me to post the
URL I had tried so they could see if they could retrieve the actual
link. Well, it looks like that is the URL and the link works like a
charm. I am sitting here listening to Cleveland PD and FD while I
work.

I remember when I was on the web page, the link appeared but
due to some sort of javascript snafu, I couldn't tease out the actual
URL. Many thanks to both responders.
--

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK
Information Technology Department Network Operations Group
Old June 30th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Allan9

Knew brothers in the Cleveland area that spelled their lasty names
differently. One was an air traffic controller the other ran a restaurant
Al

Old June 30th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 03:13:35 GMT, "Allan9" wrote:

Knew brothers in the Cleveland area that spelled their lasty names
differently. One was an air traffic controller the other ran a restaurant

Neither I nor my brother have ever even been in Cleveland.
Old June 30th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Al Klein" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 03:13:35 GMT, "Allan9" wrote:

Knew brothers in the Cleveland area that spelled their lasty names
differently. One was an air traffic controller the other ran a

restaurant

Neither I nor my brother have ever even been in Cleveland.

Don't get around much, huh?