Old September 4th 03, 08:02 PM
Mark Turner

Default FT857 mobile 80m tuner?

I have an FT857 in the car and mainly use it with an ATAS120 on the
trunk lid. I'm very happy with that combination and find the one-button
tuning such an advantage that I don't mind the slightly lower performance
of the ATAS120 compared with a hamstick on 20m for example. I also have a
20m hamstick that I sometimes use when I want that bit more performance.
The 20m hamstick is wide enough to cover the whole band within the
FT857's acceptable SWR limits so I don't need a tuner to use it.

My problem/question is.... what tuner should I use with the FT857 to
"widen" the bandwidth of 40m and 80m hamsticks so that I can tune them
middle of the band(s) once by hand then let a tuner sort out the SWR
for using them across the whole band(s)? I don't need the tuner to work
miracles and make a whip cover multiple bands. I do want the tuner to
work with as little manual intervention as possible so that I can press a
button and know that it will work, like with the ATAS120, and keep my
eyes on the road. The button (if any) needs to be on the radio/mic as the
tuner will be in the trunk so out of reach.

I've tried an LDG RT-11 but don't think that will work for me long term
as the FT857 throttles back the power so much when it sees high SWR that
the RT-11 can't tune. The RT-11 can tune my 20m hamstick from 20m up
to 10m and in-between but can't tune an 80m hamstick across 80m.

I need to use about 2 feet of coax from the tuner to the base of the
whip as I'm limited in how I can get the cable from inside to outside.

Currently considering a) the FC-20 because it is Yaesu so should be able
tune without high SWR throttling the power back and causing problems
as it does with the RT-11 and b) the SGC-239 because I've read on the
SGC website that it works fine with recent Yaesu radios. I understand
that with either of these I'll need to wire the coax to the wire output
terminals and I am slightly concerned that might be too much of a bodge
and hurt performance.

Any ideas or comments would be welcome please. Has anyone else solved the
same problem, and if so how did you do it?

Thanks,

Mark.

Trade Kenwood for tuner Carl Domanico Dx 0 June 26th 04 10:16 AM
Trade Kenwood for tuner Carl Domanico Digital 0 June 26th 04 10:16 AM
FC-20 Antenna Tuner broken on 10m ? Simon Antenna 3 January 28th 04 01:45 AM
Mobile Antennas Jerry Antenna 0 September 8th 03 07:27 PM
Tuner detunes antenna David Cook Antenna 2 July 11th 03 09:42 PM