Old December 4th 10, 10:58 AM
Junior Member

Default Closed Closed

Closed Closed Closed

Last edited by benjm1995 : December 27th 10 at 03:34 PM Reason: Q Answered
Old December 4th 10, 01:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Im New here, help with recording

benjm1995 wrote:
I was looking in going into amature radio broadcasting, I plan to order
my mic, mixer and all other cables. I was just wondering how to go about
recording my show? The laptop soundcard is not the greatest and I would
like to know if there is any cheap hardware £100 or lower to record for
a while into mp3 format?

Oh and sorry one more thing, im not sure on the mic I have ordered, I
dont want to link it because I dont know what rules I am breaking, but
what would be the best mic for me? I just want a mic for recording me
and it would be a bonus if it diddnt pick up noises other than my voice

My budget is £150 for that

Thanks in advance
Ben

I wish they'd had this kind of stuff when I was just getting started...

http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/podcastudio.html

Old December 4th 10, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 09:58:01 +0000, benjm1995 rearranged some electrons to
say:

I was looking in going into amature radio broadcasting,

Broadcasting in the amateur bands is prohibited.
Old December 4th 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 12-4-2010 18:32, david wrote:
On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 09:58:01 +0000, benjm1995 rearranged some electrons to
say:

I was looking in going into amature radio broadcasting,

Broadcasting in the amateur bands is prohibited.

But "amateur radio news bulletins" are legal in the USA.

§97.111 Authorized transmissions.-

(b) In addition to one-way transmissions specifically authorized
elsewhere in this Part, an amateur station may transmit the following
types of one-way communications:

(6) Transmissions necessary to disseminate information bulletins;

And here is what they say about broadcasting in general...

§97.113 Prohibited transmissions. -

(a) No amateur station shall transmit:

(2) Communications for hire or for material compensation, direct or
indirect, paid or promised, except as otherwise provided in these rules;

(3) Communications in which the station licensee or control
operator has a pecuniary interest, including communications on behalf of
an employer, with the following exceptions:

(4) Music using a phone emission except as specifically provided
elsewhere in this section; communications intended to facilitate a
criminal act; messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their
meaning, except as otherwise provided herein; obscene or indecent words
or language; or false or deceptive messages, signals or identification;

(5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could reasonably be
furnished alternatively through other radio services.

(b) An amateur station shall not engage in any form of broadcasting, nor
may an amateur station transmit one-way communications except as
specifically provided in these rules; nor shall an amateur station
engage in any activity related to program production or news gathering
for broadcasting purposes, except that communications directly related
to the immediate safety of human life or the protection of property may
be provided by amateur stations to broadcasters for dissemination to the
public where no other means of communication is reasonably available
before or at the time of the event.
Old December 5th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Scott wrote:
On 12-4-2010 18:32, david wrote:
[...]

There are some hams who wished to be radio announcers in real life, and
there are radio announcers who only use digital modes.

I can get the ham radio news on podcast, seems silly to transmit it on 5
repeaters at a time once a week.

Old December 6th 10, 12:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 21:12:13 +0000, Scott rearranged some electrons to
say:

On 12-4-2010 18:32, david wrote:
[...]

I didn't assume that he was in the US, in fact, since he used a UK pound
figure, I assumed he wasn't. In any case, he should read up on his
country's amateur rules in regards to broadcasting.
Old December 6th 10, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010, Scott wrote:

On 12-4-2010 18:32, david wrote:
On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 09:58:01 +0000, benjm1995 rearranged some electrons to
say:

I was looking in going into amature radio broadcasting,

Broadcasting in the amateur bands is prohibited.

But "amateur radio news bulletins" are legal in the USA.

But that's not what the original poster is asking about.

He's talking about "radio broadcasting" but "amateur" as in
a hobby not being paid.

He's not talking about "amateur radio", he likely doesn't even know about
it. He wants to play radio DJ, and he's either going to bootleg or
stay within the miniscule power levels allowed for "unlicensed" use.

Since he's not talking professional, he stumbled on this newsgroup because
he saw the "radio" angle. Indeed, he may have latched on the notion of
"amateur radio" to describe what he wants to do by finding this newsgroup.
Unaware that amateur radio is a hobby of two way communication dating back
to nearly the origins of radio, he thinks he's in the right place.

Michael VE2BVW
Old December 16th 10, 10:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Dec 4, 7:58*pm, benjm1995
wrote:
I was looking in going into amature radio broadcasting, I plan to order
my mic, mixer and all other cables. I was just wondering how to go about
recording my show? The laptop soundcard is not the greatest and I would
like to know if there is any cheap hardware £100 or lower to record for
a while into mp3 format?

Is this for online publication or for radio broadcast? As others have
suggested, you'll want to check what's permitted in your locality.
It's also worth pointing out that this newsgroup (yes, this is Usenet,
that comes as a surprise to some) is generally related to discussions
on radio experimentation. That said, microphones feature here too.

One thing I've found to be a real nuisance, particularly on some
Toshiba laptops, is internal noise pickup. The onboard sound
interface is notorious for picking up all kinds of interference from
50Hz humm from mains, through to PCI bus activity. A combination of
USB audio, and earthing the laptop chassis seems to work however.

When broadcasting via RF, it's also important to watch for RF feedback
into the transmitter's input. I've had this happen to me a couple of
times. A low-pass filter is needed to reject the high-frequency
signal being induced into the audio signal lines. Often, this is done
using ferrite suppression sleeves over the audio leads.

It also is wise to ensure there is separation between the transmitter,
and any receivers — I had a very interesting "ringing" effect by
accidence once when I had my FT-290RII, sitting on top of a FT-897D
tuned to the same frequency. The FT-897D was monitoring my uplink
whilst I was broadcasting the WIA news service on the FT-290R II (I'm
backup transmitter for the service on VK4RBN; 147.000MHz in Brisbane).

Despite the netbook being connected via an audio transformer straight
into the microphone port on the FT-290, I could hear this ringing
noise on the transmission. Turned the volume down on the FT-897D, and
the ringing went away.