Old May 24th 05, 01:46 AM
Georg Richter

Default Forgiven chance: Hammarlund 600

Dear all,
I know the quality of this BA.
Last Sunday I was walking five hours along a flea market,
found a Hammarlund 600 and was playing with the mechanic.
It seems it was OK, but unrestored.
The asked price was 180 Euro, but I have limited space :-(
Do you think I should bite my ass?
Kind Regards,
Georg

Old May 24th 05, 03:43 AM
- exray -

Georg Richter wrote:

Dear all,
I know the quality of this BA.
Last Sunday I was walking five hours along a flea market,
found a Hammarlund 600 and was playing with the mechanic.
It seems it was OK, but unrestored.
The asked price was 180 Euro, but I have limited space :-(
Do you think I should bite my ass?
Kind Regards,
Georg

Never trust AltaVista Babelfish !

-Bill
Old May 24th 05, 12:22 PM
David Stinson

Georg Richter wrote:

Do you think I should bite my ass?

No; but I know a couple who could bite mine...(heh heh)
Old May 24th 05, 03:17 PM
Albert & Btittany Spear

Do you think I should bite my ass?

If you can reach that far consider doing something else

Old May 25th 05, 12:35 AM
Georg Richter

Georg Richter wrote

Dear all,

Maybe an unpolite start?

I know the quality of this BA.
Last Sunday I was walking five hours along a flea market,
found a Hammarlund 600 and was playing with the mechanic.
It seems it was OK, but unrestored.
The asked price was 180 Euro, but I have limited space :-(
Do you think I should bite my ass?

Maybe not because of the price but your professional answers instead?

Excuse me asking,
excuse my bad english,
Good bye!

GR

Old May 25th 05, 03:39 AM

On Wed, 25 May 2005 01:35:13 +0200, "Georg Richter"
wrote:

Georg Richter wrote

Dear all,

Maybe an unpolite start?

I know the quality of this BA.
Last Sunday I was walking five hours along a flea market,
found a Hammarlund 600 and was playing with the mechanic.
It seems it was OK, but unrestored.
The asked price was 180 Euro, but I have limited space :-(
Do you think I should bite my ass?

Maybe not because of the price but your professional answers instead?

Excuse me asking,
excuse my bad english,
Good bye!

GR

Forgive us, we have watched too much TV and are easily distracted by
an unfamiliar colloquialism. I picked up a SP-600 for $300 at a
hamfest 3 yrs ago and it's a great radio. In a limited, station by
station comparison to a Drake R-8 which I aquired this very afternoon,
the SP-600 on a 45' t2fd seemed slightly more sensitive and had
slightly more pleasant audio than the Drake on a 110' wire fed through
a ICE matching transformer. Nothing scientific, but pretty good for a
53yr.old receiver. Having said that, until the last 2 or 3 yrs. of
manufacture the SP-600s were made with a failure prone type of
capacitor sometimes known as the "black beauties of death." So unless,
upon removing the bottom cover, you see a mess of ceramic disc
capacitors, there will be a fair bit ofwork involved. I lucked out and
a previous owner had performed that labor of love on mine. There are a
lot of resources of the web for this radio, (hats off and many thanks
to Les Locklear and James Moorer,) and even a video available to help
you through the thorny patches, should you decide to take that bite.
Good luck, Steve Maus
Old May 26th 05, 01:42 AM
Georg Richter

Steve wrote

On Wed, 25 May 2005 01:35:13 +0200, "Georg Richter" wrote:

Georg Richter wrote

Dear all,

Maybe an unpolite start?

snip

Maybe not because of the price but your professional answers instead?

Excuse me asking,
excuse my bad english,
Good bye!

Hi Steve,

Forgive us, we have watched too much TV and are easily distracted by
an unfamiliar colloquialism.

Doesn't matter. Maybe I am fastidious by the r.a.r+p newsgroup behaviour.

[...]

Thank you very much for your very interesring explanations,
an excellent example!

There are two souls living my chest:
The one is hooked for boatanchors of any shape like turntables,
open-reel taperecorders, measuring devices,
console radios with turntables, gramophones and receivers like the 600 :-)
The other one is beating my fingers because of limited space :-(

The other one let me go away without the Hammarlund.
The one is dropping tears, because I have no BA for shortwave.

I assume you can imagine why I had posted my frustration.

But I should be happy with my two Telefunken receiver boatanchors,
one PE476 direction finder, and the E149, both identical in construction.
Fortunately yesterday I received the service manual from an ebay auction.

Regarding the "black beauties of death", the Wima "Tropydur" capacitors
was the German counterpiece: looking like crispy dark chocolate and always dead.

Fortunately most of the German professional receivers was mainly equiped with
metal paper capacitors, self-repairing in case of mild overvoltage and living
until eternity if not overstressed.

Thank you very much again!

Kind Regards,
Georg