Old September 19th 10, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Half delta loop antenna

Anybody have experience with the "half delta loop" as shown he
http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Antenna/Wi...%20Ham%20Radio
Wire_antennas_for_ham_radio.htm ?
I modeled it in EZNEC and it seems to solve my space and support
problems on 80/75, and is decent on 40. Patterns get kinda weird on
20M and above.

Paul KB1GEJ
Old September 19th 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Antenna/Wi..._ham_radio.htm
Old September 21st 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sep 19, 4:45*pm, " wrote:
On Sep 19, 12:44*pm, " wrote:

Anybody have experience with the "half delta loop" as shown he
*http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Antenna/Wi...%20Ham%20Radio
Wire_antennas_for_ham_radio.htm ?
* I modeled it in EZNEC and it seems to solve my space and support
problems on 80/75, and is decent on 40. *Patterns get kinda weird on
20M and above.

Paul KB1GEJ

http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Antenna/Wi...%20Ham%20Radio...

try modeling it without the ground on the far end and see how much
different it is. my bet is that it would be much better on some
frequencies and not any worse performing on most others, though the
impedance may make bigger swings.
Old September 21st 10, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

One 'modification' of that design is to add a conductor along the
ground, not relying on just the dirt's conductivity. How well will it
work? Beats me! Try it and see?
- 'Doc
Old September 21st 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 05:43:38 -0700 (PDT), "'Doc"
wrote:

One 'modification' of that design is to add a conductor along the
ground, not relying on just the dirt's conductivity. How well will it
work? Beats me! Try it and see?
- 'Doc

I don't see what this in response to (no quoted material) so I will
wing it with an observation.

Building a ground field (like radials, but more linear for dipoles, or
in this case a loop) as a mat will increase performance (more signal
out).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old September 23rd 10, 01:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard,
Did you look at #30 in the site index given?
That was the first reference to a "Half Delta Loop" I found. It uses
a ground at the feed point and at the 'far end'. Using a single
conductor to connect those two 'grounds' is a fairly common method of
modifying that antenna. I would have to guess that it isn't the -
only- such modification though.
- 'Doc

Old September 24th 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 05:35:25 -0700 (PDT), "'Doc"
wrote:

Richard,
Did you look at #30 in the site index given?
That was the first reference to a "Half Delta Loop" I found. It uses
a ground at the feed point and at the 'far end'. Using a single
conductor to connect those two 'grounds' is a fairly common method of
modifying that antenna. I would have to guess that it isn't the -
only- such modification though.
- 'Doc

Hi Doc,

Without quote support for that site, I haven't a clue.

Using a ground at the feed point says nothing, really. What does
"ground" mean? A rod? A screen? A radial field? Any of these will
change the picture considerably (OK, maybe 1dB - sometimes ground is
over-rated).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old September 24th 10, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

One 'modification' of that design is to add a conductor along the
ground, not relying on just the dirt's conductivity. How well will it
work? Beats me! Try it and see?
- 'Doc

I don't see what this in response to (no quoted material) so I will
wing it with an observation.

Building a ground field (like radials, but more linear for dipoles, or
in this case a loop) as a mat will increase performance (more signal
out).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Here's the original post.

Old September 24th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:24:07 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Hmmm, Doc is right. Try it an see (seeing there was no ask for how
design variations would impact performance).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC