Old May 29th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Help Setting Up Unidentified Cushcraft Multiband Vertical

I am a fairly new amateur operator (VE9XYZ) and have just purchased a
second-hand Cushcraft multiband vertical antenna from an older ham operator
who had it in storage for quite some time. He told me that it was a
Cushcraft AV-5, but last weekend I started assembling and testing it (using
the AV-5 instruction manual found on Cushcraft's website) and I've concluded
that it cannot be an AV-5 since:

1) This antenna has a 10" circular capacitance hat, not the
criss-cross type shown in the AV-5 manual

2) The dimensions for this antenna (marked on the antenna before
disassembly by the previous owner are nowhere near what the "Nominal
Dimensions" shown in the AV-5 manual.

Dimension A: My Antenna = 98.125", AV-5 Manual says 80.5"

Dimension B: My Antenna = 17", AV-5 Manual says 5.75"
Dimension C: My Antenna = 27.5", AV-5 Manual says 19.75"

Dimension D: My Antenna = 66.75", AV-5 Manual says 43.75"
Dimension E: My Antenna = 74", AV-5 Manual says 82.5"

The base assembly is identical to that shown in the AV-5 instruction manual.

I have no idea where the 10" ring goes, and since I don't have a manual that
I really trust, I don't know what the details are for the radials I must
use. Can anyone experienced with this subject help me identify this antenna
si I can locate the instruction manual and assemble this antenna properly. I
looked through many antenna manuals online, but didn't find one that looked
exactly like mine.

I'm looking forward to testing his thing now that the summer weather is
here.

Help !

Thank-you very much in advance for any help you can provide me.

73

Kevin

VE9-XYZ