Old April 2nd 17, 08:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur,free.uk.amateur-radio,rec.radio.info

Default [QSO Today] G3BJ

QSO Today Amateur RAdio Podcast - Podcasts

G3BJ

http://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/g3bj

Episode 139 - Don Beattie - G3BJ Don Beattie, G3BJ, is a former president
of the Radio Society of Great Britain, past chairman of BARTG, or the
British Amateur Radio Teledata Group, past president of the CDXC, the
British DX foundation, board member of the RSGB, and its acting general
manager for two years. The list goes on and on. Don is currently the
President of the IARU, or the International Amateur Radio Union for Region
1. G3BJ is a leader in British amateur radio and is my QSO Today.
Show Notes Listen
to Podcast This episode is listener sponsored
Become a listener sponsor today, listen to Tony, and start walking your
10,000 steps a day with me and the QSO Today Podcast
Become a Listener Sponsor First
License: Age 17,1961,G3OZF. Once license class at that time.

Elmers:John Curnow, G6CWTerry Kirk, G3OMK - taught CW in NottinghamRoy
Martyr, G3PMX
First Rig:5763 beam triode valve transmitter 3 tubes. Don says about this
rig, "It was a home-designed effort - CO-Buffer-PA with grid-block keying.
About 12-15 watts DC input."End-fed long wire antennaBritish Army
Communications R107 receiverMarconi CR100 receiverEddystone 888A receiver
First DX contact: Don says, "After I had just completed the transmitter, I
worked a few European stations and was calling CQ. I nearly fell off my
chair when VP8GQ answered me! I still have the QSL card!"

Imperial College London, Electronic Engineering,

Marconi Company

Current Rig:
A pair of Yaesu FTDX 5000 with linear amplifiers
Operating SO2R

DXpedition Rig:Elecraft K3 with KPA 500 amplifier90 Titanium Alloy Mast
Favorite ham radio activity: CW running SO2R during contests

Radio Society of Great Britain

BARTG, the British Amateur Radio Teledata Group

CDXC - British DX foundation

IARU Region 1

ITU - International Telecommunications Union

World Radio Congress, 2015 - 5 Mhz allocation

IARU bandplan

3B7C DXpedition in 2007

Keys to success on DXpedition: Get the right team and do extremely good
planning.

9M0C Spratly Island - Dons first DXpedition. "A great learning experience"

DXpedition Lite - small group of 6, to Australian Islands. 72,000 QSOs
with three stations

Top 100 most needed DX entities

Bob Heil, K9EID, my guest on QSO Today podcast episode 72,

Most excited in amateur radio by:Now owns a personal competitive station on
4 acresIncreasing understanding of changes to secure the growth for the
futureNew technologies such as digital television in half meg bandwidth
Advice to new or returning hams:Join your national radio society: ARRL,
RSGB, etc.Join one of the numerous special interest groups locally or
on-lineDon says, "You get out of amateur radio what you put into it".
The RSS Feed for all audio content from QSO today is available from here.

Please join our QSO Today community by pressing the button below. It is the
best way to suggest guests and topics, and provide feedback to Eric,
4Z1UG. Join the QSO Today Community
R107 WW2 British Army Receiver Marconi CR100
Receiver Eddystone 888A Receiver Don at the pipe organ

[QSO Today] G3BJ QSO Today via rec.radio.info Admin Dx 0 April 2nd 17 08:06 AM
(OT) As of Today, [email protected] Shortwave 0 January 22nd 09 01:35 AM
Around today? Rick General 0 June 16th 05 05:09 PM
Very good daytime reception today on mid SW bands today Telamon Shortwave 0 June 6th 05 05:47 AM
Got a new cb today Fordson Dodge CB 0 March 29th 05 05:25 AM