Old February 2nd 17, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Ham foibles #1

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Ham foibles #1

I received an e-mail from a friend today:

In my seemingly never ending quest for good cw practice material, I had
noticed that there were simulated call signs in the CW OPS practice lists.
While listening to their practice sessions, I noticed that I was able to
receive call signs at higher rates than their practice text.

So, I thought I would create some lists of my own. What better source than
QST magazine. Towards the back, there are some full page lists that are
nothing but call signs, sorted alphabetically by zone. When I finished
compiling my lists, by 4 5, & 6 letter calls, I thought I would send them
to a friend who is at about the same place I am in terms of speed. When I
found the lists again in QST, I was horrified to find it was a list of
SILENT KEYS.

First, I scolded him for not getting on the air in order to get his code
practice. I even volunteered to get on the air with him every night for 15
to 30 minutes.

Then, I noted that it shouldn’t be difficult to write a program to generate
an endless series of callsigns. In fact, I thought he had told me once that
he’d written a programÂ*like that before. Im going to develop a flow chart
and send it to him, unless someone out there already has one.

By the way, I have his permission to post this. He wrote, I dont mind you
blogging these tidbits, as long as you dont attribute them. Â*HI HI.Â*

The post Ham foibles #1 appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.