Old March 18th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default GE Super Radio

So, what's the deal with the GE Super Radio? I've seen a couple
mentioned, here. I've had one for decades and it still works great.
How do they fit into a shortwave newsgroup?

nb
Old March 19th 10, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

notbob wrote:
So, what's the deal with the GE Super Radio? I've seen a couple
mentioned, here. I've had one for decades and it still works great.
How do they fit into a shortwave newsgroup?

1) Strictly speaking, you are correct. It isn't "shortwave".

2) However, from a reality viewpoint, many do post their MW catches here.
Old March 19th 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2010-03-18, Joe from Kokomo wrote:

1) Strictly speaking, you are correct. It isn't "shortwave".

2) However, from a reality viewpoint, many do post their MW catches here.

So, catching, say, KGO in San Francisco while living in Northern Oregon
would be considered a valid connection for a DXer?

I'm embarrassingly new at this and am trying to learn the ins and
outs. I've made the above connection before, but didn't realize it
was any big deal, KGO broadcasting at 50KW. I wasn't trying to score
a long catch, jes hear a radio station I was very familiar with.

nb
Old March 19th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, notbob wrote:

So, what's the deal with the GE Super Radio? I've seen a couple
mentioned, here. I've had one for decades and it still works great.
How do they fit into a shortwave newsgroup?

Because like I said, "shortwave" defines not the spectrum, but the
listener. Someone who listens for hobby purposes, generally for the
sake of the reception rather than the content. They had to figure
out something to define name the group, and vague as it is, it's better
than a lot of other choices. So it encompasses listing to FM broadcast
band DX, and listening to AM broadcast band DX, and even "public service
monitoring" though later there were groups created for that sort of
listening.

Time was, most people got interesting in DXing because they simply tuned
their bedside radio up and down the band at night, discovering what too
many don't realize, that lots of distant stations can be received, and
without any special equipment. That primed them, they wanted more, and
they got better equipment and discovered shortwave listening.

Michael

Old March 19th 10, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 3/18/2010 3:07 PM, notbob wrote:
So, what's the deal with the GE Super Radio? I've seen a couple
mentioned, here. I've had one for decades and it still works great.
How do they fit into a shortwave newsgroup?

nb

It's a fairly-cheap way to listen to MW?

(-by the by, the current RCA model seems to be disappearing from
availability; if you want a new one act fast-)
~
Old March 19th 10, 02:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2010-03-19, Michael Black wrote:

Because like I said, "shortwave" defines not the spectrum, but the
listener. Someone who listens for hobby purposes, generally for the
sake of the reception rather than the content.

Unless you take into account my haircut, which has such a short wave
you can see your reflection in it, I guess I'm not a shortwave person.
I remember lusting after a Hallicrafters S-120 as a kid and finally
getting a used one when I was in the service stationed in N Africa. I
could get hundreds of stations in Europe, but couldn't understand a
word from a single one. Not my idea of entertainment.

I'm trying to get into ham cuz I want to talk to people, not see if I
can hear them. I hear way too many people every day on my phone! I
jes cancelled cable tv and talk radio is crap. You wanna carry on an
intelligent conversation, I'm there.

nb
Old March 19th 10, 02:34 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

notbob wrote:

So, catching, say, KGO in San Francisco while living in Northern Oregon
would be considered a valid connection for a DXer?

Well, at 50 kW, probably would not be considered 'rare' DX grin, but:
a) It's a start.
b) Whatever works for you.

I'm embarrassingly new at this and am trying to learn the ins and
outs. I've made the above connection before, but didn't realize it
was any big deal, KGO broadcasting at 50KW. I wasn't trying to score
a long catch, jes hear a radio station I was very familiar with.

My -personal- views are as follows...

If you are listening for actual content, it seems much more practical to
listen on the internet. No interference (QRM), no static (QRN), no
fading (QSB).

If you are listening to see how good of a 'catch' you can get and
like/love the "magic" of radio, then SWLing is the way to go (even if it
is medium wave [AM broadcast band], not shortwave).

I see from your other post, you want to get into ham radio.

Well, it's as easy as it has ever been: no Morse code (CW) required,
study guides available for free on the internet and a passing score of
just 75% required.

Good luck on getting your ticket!

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.
Old March 19th 10, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2010-03-19, Joe from Kokomo wrote:

If you are listening for actual content, it seems much more practical to
listen on the internet. No interference (QRM), no static (QRN), no
fading (QSB).

They didn't have the internet as we know it 30 yrs ago. I do
communicate via the net heavily. NNTP, IRC, IM, email, etc, but I'm a
hopeless gadget freak and have wanted to be a ham since I was in jr
high. While my buddy got his ticket, I was lured away by rock and
roll, guitars, and high volume amps, so went down that road. Now, I'm
a caregiver and stuck at home and am looking for more opportunities to
talk to others.

Well, it's as easy as it has ever been: no Morse code (CW) required,
study guides available for free on the internet and a passing score of
just 75% required.

Good luck on getting your ticket!

I'm studying like crazy and enjoying it. I've got enough of a math
and electronics background so that's no problem. But this radio
frequencies and propagation and just all the terms is a chore. Plus,
I'm learning code. I've always felt you're not a real ham unless you
can cw. I'll get there. Thanks.

nb
Old March 19th 10, 03:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Larger antenna than the norm.Other than that, what are GE Superadios? I
own one, I bought it new.Soooo new, it doesn't say Superadio anywhere on
the radio at all.
cuhulin

GE Pre-Super-Radio ? RHF Shortwave 26 July 19th 05 02:50 PM
FA: Dentron 160-10AT 3KW Super Super Tuner Robert Kalb Swap 0 October 17th 04 09:29 PM
FA: Dentron 160-10AT 3KW Super Super Tuner Robert Kalb Swap 0 October 12th 04 08:54 PM
FS: DENTRON SUPER SUPER TUNER 160-10AT 3K Robert Kalb Swap 0 October 6th 04 01:15 AM
GE Super Radio 3's LW Swap 1 April 18th 04 10:52 PM