Old September 25th 03, 01:07 AM
Donnie

Default High Voltage Lines....

Have a new ham that his property is backed up to a high voltage power line right of way, He is
thinking about installing a tower in the yard but is wondering what effect or line noise would be
present with the tower in line of sight to the power lines. comments welcome..

Donnie (N4JZH)

''Behold how good and well brethren dwell together in unity''
Old September 25th 03, 01:27 AM
Spurious Noise

I had a home a coupla hundred feet away from hi tension towers and it was a
nightmare plus.

I was not a ham when we moved in but I noticed lines across the TV video on
the lower channels all the time
and buzz in the TV audio. Annoying but not unusual in the days of rooftop TV
antennas.

It got and very severe when the insulators got damp. In fact at times during
the night one could see a blue arc discharge across the insulators.

When I got my ham ticket, I found S9+10 dB of noise was typical on the 160,
80, 40m bands (unusable for the most part)

Less noise up the spectrum but awful at times. Later when a got a small
triband beam, I would rotate the antenna 90 degrees away from the power
lines to reduce the noise and hope some of my signal got to Europe -- hi hi.

The power company would wash down the lines on occasion when I squawked, but
the noise would soon return.

When we moved to a new noise free (underground utilities) location, couldn't
believe the difference.

Take a portable SWL receiver and check the noise at various frequencies and
areas of the location.

But the noise could be in a "quiet period' i.e., clean and dry insulators.

But a Caveat -- your noise may vary -- others reported no problem.

For me I will never again move in anywhere near these spectrum blasters.

--
73 from The Spurious Noise

news

Old September 25th 03, 01:31 AM
'Doc

Donnie,
There's really no way of telling before hand. The
simplest thing to do would be to measure the noise
level with some kind of receiver, then figure there
will be some increase with a higher antenna. Basically,
whatever he has now will be the minimum of what he will
have with the tower. More than likely there won't be
much, if any, increase in noise, especially on VHF/UHF
(line if sight).
'Doc
Old September 25th 03, 01:34 AM
Donnie

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:27:21 -0700, "Spurious Noise" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply, I live 500ft away and at times it is noisy, he is about 150 to 200ft from the
lines. more comments please...

Old September 25th 03, 02:24 AM
Dave Shrader

I lived and operated HF for 38 years within 100 meters of 3 sets of HV
lines from 66KV to 110KV on the New England Power Grid in Danvers,
Massachusetts, 01923, 10 Bow Street. My next door neighbor was the Right
of Way. My 80/75 meter doublet was parallel to the lines [maximum
coupling] and noise was a non issue. I looked out the window and Voila!
Power Lines!!

In 38 years of HF operation the only problem was one cracked insulator,
corona, that was promptly replaced by NE Electric.

Moral, considering the negative response, noise is not a problem on
maintained lines!

Deacon Dave, W1MCE
+ + +

Old September 25th 03, 05:14 AM
Crazy George

Dave:

What you say was absolutely true. Until electric utility deregulation. The
bean counters have taken over the utilities, and getting repairs is now
worse than pulling teeth. Lines are not maintained any longer until they
pose an imminent public safety threat. Ask Riley Hollingsworth or Ed Hare
if you don't want to believe me. Unfortunately, your experience is more the
exception than the rule anyway. Also, read the following article:
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/special/aug03/black03.html, where you
will find First Energy mentioned. Tom Rauch, W8JI is preparing to file suit
against them, as their lines are noisy, literally falling down, and they
refuse to repair them. So, please don't mislead the newbies with stories
about the golden past. It is gone, unfortunately.
BTW, my credentials can be found at:
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/power_line_handbook/.

73,
W5VPQ
--
Crazy George
Remove NO and SPAM from return address

Old September 25th 03, 02:55 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

Donnie,

You will get some indication by putting your car radio on AM, and driving
around in the area.

Tam/WB2TT