Old July 25th 14, 11:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Grundig G6 Buzz Aldrin issue

Hello folks. I am looking for some help with a strange issue regarding my Buzz Aldrin G6. I have enjoyed the radio but the radio case (had plastic shell or housing, NOT THE CARRYING CASE) has really disintegrated and is loosing button labels, its rubberizd coating etc. It cannot be cleaned ast just smears everything around when tried. Eton was aware of the epidemic of these issues with this radio but they do not sell replacement housings or buttons. They offered to replace the radio free of charge if I provided the original purchase receipt but I sadly do not have it after 5 years of ownership (I discard receipts following the end of warranty periods, a mistake I I'll not make again).

The internals work perfectly and I am deeply disappointed at this point as I really enjoyed the radio. But, it is sadly beyond reasonable use as it is such a mess.

My question is this... Does anyone know of a repair mod using some type of other aftermarket housing for this radio? Or, does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks for your suggestions and insight.

Have a great weekend...
Old July 25th 14, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Friday, July 25, 2014 3:37:33 PM UTC-7, JP West wrote:
[...]

It should read HARD plastic not HAD plastic, sorry.
Old July 26th 14, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 7/25/2014 4:37 PM, JP West wrote:
[...]

A tough loss for sure, however used replacements are cheap on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=...adis=&LH_CAds=

Grundig G6 Aviator Buzz Aldrin Edition Shortwave AM/FM Radio Asis Please
READ

Location: United States
FAST 'N FREE - Get it on or before Thu, Jul. 31
$29.99
or Best Offer
Free shipping

IT HAS SOME SCRATCHES AND THE ANTENNA IS BROKEN.

IT TURNS ON, BUT I CANT HEAR ANYTHING, NOT SURE WHY, DOESN'T SEEM TO
WORK, FEELS LIKE ITS FREEZING SOMETHING ILL PRESS ANY BUTTON BUT NOTHING
HAPPENS, AND IT HAS COUPLE DEAD PIXEL LINES, SO IT WILL BE SOLD ASIS NO
RETUNRS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grundig-G6-A...em 2c864ee3fb

Why not make 2 into 1?
Old July 26th 14, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014, JP West wrote:

[...]

What a topical post, just a bit over 45 years after he walked on the moon.

People have complained about whatever is on those radios. I get the
impression it's also on my Grundig G3 and my Grundig G8, it's a weird sort
of rubber type coating.

I don't have a URL, but someone has posted somewhere about how to remove
that junk (not clean it, but remove it), though I don't know what that
leaves behind. That coating has certainly been discussed elsewhere, maybe
even here (though I cant' remember).

Michael

Old July 27th 14, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 07/25/2014 03:37 PM, JP West wrote:
[...]

Find the transaction on your bank records

Old August 9th 14, 01:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ple.org,
Michael Black wrote:
[...]

90% isopropyl alcohol and some elbow grease. Removed every trace from my
E100 that way.

Also a post about an automotive cleaner - Purple Power or something
similar - that works even better.