Old November 21st 05, 06:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Chris W

Default 1.2 GHZ collinear array

I want to build a 1.2 Ghz antenna for this tiny wireless camera receiver
I have. The antenna on it uses an F connector so I am guessing it is a
75 ohm antenna. I have seen several web pages with a collinear design
using 50 ohm coax cable. If I use some 75 ohm cable TV coax to make the
antenna do I need to do anything else to match the antenna to the 75
ohms of the RX? Also does anyone know what eh velocity factor for the
coax the cable company uses is?

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old November 21st 05, 12:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Andersson

Chris W wrote:

I want to build a 1.2 Ghz antenna for this tiny wireless camera receiver
I have. The antenna on it uses an F connector so I am guessing it is a
75 ohm antenna. I have seen several web pages with a collinear design
using 50 ohm coax cable. If I use some 75 ohm cable TV coax to make the
antenna do I need to do anything else to match the antenna to the 75
ohms of the RX? Also does anyone know what eh velocity factor for the
coax the cable company uses is?

Chris,

If you are talking about "one off" installation, don't worry about the 75 or
50 Ohms coax. As you say, 75 Ohms seems to be the correct guess as it's a F
connector and as the TV world seems to be in love with the 75 Ohms
cables/connectors.

You don't really need to be bothered by matching your 50 to 75 Ohms. Most
cables and connectors deviate so much as +/- 50% on the actual impedance
anyway. The loss tends to be lower in 75 Ohms cables.

If you are concerned over the match, make a Y coax match ( Wilkinson ? ) You
find the recipe for a stup or an Y match in most amateur radio cook books.

The easiest way to make a small aerial for 1.2 GHz ( Weird frequency for a
wireless camera?! ) is to make up a small Yagi aerial on a double sided
PCB. You can also make a nice log periodic on a double sided PCB that works
for both 1.2 and 2.4GHz. --- Unless you want an omnidirectional aerial of
course!

Cheers

Dan / M0DFI
Old November 21st 05, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Martes

"Chris W" wrote in message
I want to build a 1.2 Ghz antenna for this tiny wireless camera receiver I
have. The antenna on it uses an F connector so I am guessing it is a 75
ohm antenna. I have seen several web pages with a collinear design using
50 ohm coax cable. If I use some 75 ohm cable TV coax to make the antenna
do I need to do anything else to match the antenna to the 75 ohms of the
RX? Also does anyone know what eh velocity factor for the coax the cable
company uses is?

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Hi Chris

Are you considering building a highly directive collinear antenna like
Brian Oblivion + Capt Kaboom describe on their web site? If so, be sure
to use a coax that you can solder to. Some RG-6 wont take solder. The
RG-6 dielectric is foamed poly, so that makes it a little more difficult to
solder than to Teflon dielectric cables.
The velocity of propagation of RG-6 is not constant. It depends on the
manufacturer. The VP is close to 0.8, but can vary from about 0.75 to
0.85.

If you plan high directivity from an end fed collinear, you will need to
be very careful to build it with precision to produce a main beam thats
perpendicular to it.

The nice part of the "Kaboom" type collinear antenna is it is very
inexpensive to build so you can build one and try it, then make another
thats a bit closer to your requirements (if needed).

Jerry