Old July 24th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default CAT protocol specifications?

Hi group(s),

I am looking for the specifications of the CAT protocol mainly for Yaesu
and Kenwood TRXs. I have the basic commands in the user's manual but I
am looking for full specs, including memories management, etc. Any
pointers or hints would be highly appreciated. TNX in advance.

P.
Old July 25th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"silverdr" wrote in message
Hi group(s),

I am looking for the specifications of the CAT protocol mainly for Yaesu
and Kenwood TRXs. I have the basic commands in the user's manual but I am
looking for full specs, including memories management, etc. Any pointers
or hints would be highly appreciated. TNX in advance.

P.

Google "kenwood CAT protocol"

Old July 25th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:24:10 +0200, silverdr
wrote:

Hi group(s),

I am looking for the specifications of the CAT protocol mainly for Yaesu
and Kenwood TRXs. I have the basic commands in the user's manual but I
am looking for full specs, including memories management, etc. Any
pointers or hints would be highly appreciated. TNX in advance.

The FT-897D uses 5 byte command blocks.The first 4 bytes hold the
command arguments while the carries the opcode. The manual provides
the opcodes and further details.

Essentially all the control software does is read and write command
blocks to a comm port. In the Windows world the port is controlled via
calls to kernel32.dll.

73 de n4jvp
Old July 25th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:27:26 -0500, Glenn wrote:
"silverdr" wrote:

I am looking for the specifications of the CAT protocol mainly for Yaesu
and Kenwood TRXs. I have the basic commands in the user's manual but I am
looking for full specs, including memories management, etc. Any pointers
or hints would be highly appreciated. TNX in advance.

Google "kenwood CAT protocol"

What a concept, ehhhh?
Old July 25th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"silverdr" wrote in message
Hi group(s),

I am looking for the specifications of the CAT protocol mainly for Yaesu
and Kenwood TRXs. I have the basic commands in the user's manual but I
am looking for full specs, including memories management, etc. Any
pointers or hints would be highly appreciated. TNX in advance.

P.

Get hold of a packet sniffer and trap the comms between the radio and
commercial control software such as ARCP2000.

Haven't bothered with Yaesu, but I have a Kenwood TS2000. The radio can run
up to 56.7k and looks like a modem. Uses a standard 9 pin modem cable. The
Owners Manual is available for download and carries a whole section on the
command structure. This structure has been in place since they first
started using it and they just keep adding to it. Earlier radios require a
level shifter and only run 4800bd but have the same memory and vfo commands.

Beware that even the power on and several other commands require a sequence
of commands and telemetry. There are commands that interrogate the status
of specific conditions before deciding the appropriate command or string of
commands, but simpler things like reading vfos and mode are simple and
included in many third party programs.

I am currently using ARCP-2000, LOG-eqf, RIG-eqf (for dos), MCP-2000, and a
very interesting Excel spreadsheet by K9DCI that allows management of
extreme frequency lists.

73, ac6tk

http://techinfo.awardspace.com

Old July 25th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Glenn wrote:

I am looking for the specifications of the CAT protocol mainly for
Yaesu and Kenwood TRXs. I have the basic commands in the user's manual
but I am looking for full specs, including memories management, etc.
Any pointers or hints would be highly appreciated. TNX in advance.

Google "kenwood CAT protocol"

I did Google "Yaesu CAT protocol" (this is the first one I need) and
similar combinations few times before I looked for the appropriate group
to ask the question. Unfortunately I found little to none information of
the kind I look for.
Old July 25th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

JB wrote:

I am looking for the specifications of the CAT protocol mainly for Yaesu
and Kenwood TRXs. I have the basic commands in the user's manual but I
am looking for full specs, including memories management, etc. Any
pointers or hints would be highly appreciated. TNX in advance.

Get hold of a packet sniffer and trap the comms between the radio and
commercial control software such as ARCP2000.

Huh - this I also had in mind already but I would still prefer to have
the specs rather than sniff the communications. This is especially valid
when the reason why I need the specs is defined as "no Windows machine
to run the commercial (or non-commercial) control software in the
vicinity" ;-)

Haven't bothered with Yaesu,

Well - that is exactly what I need now. Kenwood is second on the list
because I plan to buy one for winter. Right now I need to do something
with the Yaesu.

but I have a Kenwood TS2000. The radio can run
up to 56.7k and looks like a modem. Uses a standard 9 pin modem cable. The
Owners Manual is available for download and carries a whole section on the
command structure. This structure has been in place since they first
started using it and they just keep adding to it. Earlier radios require a
level shifter and only run 4800bd but have the same memory and vfo commands.

Good to know that there is at least some sanity over the "commerciality"
within Kenwood staff.

Beware that even the power on and several other commands require a sequence
of commands and telemetry. There are commands that interrogate the status
of specific conditions before deciding the appropriate command or string of
commands, but simpler things like reading vfos and mode are simple and
included in many third party programs.

I am currently using ARCP-2000, LOG-eqf, RIG-eqf (for dos), MCP-2000, and a
very interesting Excel spreadsheet by K9DCI that allows management of
extreme frequency lists.

I think I shall archive this post as I plan on TS2000X and may return to
it later.
Old July 25th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Registered User wrote:

I am looking for the specifications of the CAT protocol mainly for Yaesu
and Kenwood TRXs. I have the basic commands in the user's manual but I
am looking for full specs, including memories management, etc. Any
pointers or hints would be highly appreciated. TNX in advance.

The FT-897D uses 5 byte command blocks.The first 4 bytes hold the
command arguments while the carries the opcode. The manual provides
the opcodes and further details.

Yes - the manual provides the basics and explains how to construct the
packets etc. What is missing though are the methods of handling the
memory banks. It even doesn't say how to read/write memory locations (I
may suspect that user memories are to be accessed by reading/writing
specific hardware memory addresses). And I have read somewhere that
there is a full specifications document, which covers these topics plus
there is even more - some undocumented features, which can be accessed
this way. I am looking for at least the specs that would allow one to
deal with user memories. FT-897 is a good choice - I have to deal with
FT-857, which is supposed to be fully compatible, but also with VX-7R,
which almost certainly is not.
Old July 26th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Old July 28th 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Thomas Laus wrote:

[...]

Have you tried looking in the files for the Hamlib project on
Sourceforge?

http://hamlib.sourceforge.net/

They keep a repository of various software interfaces to a lot of
radios. I have used the Kenwood library to get some hints on how to
talk to my TS-950. You might be able to gain some insight into how your
Yaesu talks it's COMM port.

Now that might be a good hint! Thank you, I shall definitely look into
those. Still, I am wondering how do all those people who write the CAT
software gain their knowledge. I would expect the producers to
publish the full specs but so far no reply from "vertex"..