Old June 6th 04, 05:25 AM
Dan

Default Hustler 6btv - broken 75/80 resonator coupler

While trying to fix a minor problem on my vertical... I accidentally
broke the threaded coupler between the bottom of the 75/80 meter
resonator and the top of the lower section is screws into this coupler
is now broken off 1/2 in the resonator the other 1/2 in the lower
mating section. At first I assume I could use like an "easy out
and turn the broken pieces out of each unit. This is not the case.
the part broken in the resonator does turn easy but will not back out.
I am assuming it is some how captured and may not be a threaded item
anyway..

the part broken in the lower section I can not even get it to break
loose and turn it..

I have though about using a drill and tap on both sections and then
use a thread rod about 1 to 1.5 inches long ..

any ideas? am I missing something? any ideas and or fixes would sure
be appreciated very much!!

thanks

Dan
Old June 6th 04, 04:07 PM
G.Beat

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

Dan -

It sounds like these parts have "seized"
(this happens with aluminum parts - if you do not use a product like
Pentrox-A by Burndy)

I had a similar problem with a threaded radial on a Cushcraft VHF/UHF
vertical.

Although I ordered a replacement radial, I had to slowly drill out the
broken radial
(patience and a drill press help) ... I did use a correctly sized tap to
clean the threads.

I then applied Pentrox-A to the threads when I reassembled the antenna.

Greg
w9gb