Old December 29th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Weller WCC100 Soldering Station

This is an informational post for owners of the Weller WCC100 soldering
station.
Some Elecraft builders have used this soldering station for building their
kits.

This is the BLUE colored station that was sold by Weller until 1999, when it
was discontinued

The Weller WLC100, which is an ORANGE colored station, is a totally
DIFFERENT station.
The WLC100 is NOT temeprature controller uses an OEM light dimemr module)
and uses the Weller "ST" series of soldering tips. Information on the
WLC100 model, can be found he
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/wlc100.html
===============

The Weller WCC100 is a temperature controlled soldering station that Weller
sold in 1990s,
until it was discontinued by Weller in 1999. I have found some vendors that
still have a few of these stations in stock. The WES51 soldering station,
introduced in 2002 replaced the WCC100 model.
The WCC100 station uses the Weller "ET" series soldering tips, which are
readily available and used on a number of current Weller soldering stations
(WES51, EC series, Silver Series).

I am collecting pertinent documentation for this Weller station (including
the Tech Sheet) that will eventually be available electronically (likely
through BAMA).

The WCC100 soldering station is a line voltage (120 VAC) station.
This station has NO isolation transformer and the control board is connected
directly to line voltage (no fuse, surge protection or safety capacitor).
The control board monitors the thermocouple (temperature sensor) and 120 VAC
heater.

Parts numbers for Weller WCC100 solder station

WCC101 - Replacement Iron w/ETA tip
WCC102 - Replacement Heater (120 V)
WCC103 - Temperature Sensor w/Spring
WCC104 - Sponge
WCC105 - Spring and Funnel Assembly
WCC106 - Control Board
WCC108 - Weller Barrel Nut
SW120 - Switch (Carling LRA series illuminated rocker)
ET series tips - widely available and used in Weller WES51, "EC" and Silver
Series stations
====

WCC102 heater has a resistance of about 348 to 350 ohms at room temperature
(27 C)

WCC103 temperature sensor has a resistance of about 1 to 2 ohms at room
temperature (27 C)
This resistance increases (thermocouple) as the temperature rises -- the
control board then compares this to the temperature set by the user
(potentiometer). A "zero-crossing" circuit then turns off the heater
(usually via a Triac or transistor switch) -- when the temperature is
reached and turns the heater back on, when the temperature drops below this
point.

I acquired a WCC100 soldering station, via eBay, that was non-functional in
December 2007.
The temperature sensor (WCC103) had failed (open - infinite resistance) in
this station's iron. Some parts are becoming more difficult to obtain for
this station, since Weller discontinued it over 8 years ago.

IF you have a dead WCC100 station, now is the time to get it repaired,
unless you are scrapping it
(I will accept these donations).

These Distributors have Weller WCC100 parts "in stock", as of December 2007

Allied Electronics
http://www.alliedelec.com/default.asp

WCC103 Temperature Sensor (115 units in stock)
Allied part number: 984-2267, price: $ 7.30
==
Santa Cruz Electronics
http://www.santacruzelectronics.com/...class=TOOLS%20

WCC102 - Replacement Heater (120 V) - $ 21.34
WCC104 - Replacement Sponge - $ 1.50
WCC106 - Control Board - $ 5.74
WCC108 - Weller Barrel Nut - $ 7.52
==
GC Electronics (available at any GC Electronics reseller or retailer)
SW120 - Replacement Illuminated Rocker switch
GC Electronics part number 35-3740 - $ 3.00

Carling Curvette LRA series - LRA211C.
LRA211: 125V Neon Lamp; 16A 125VAC; .250 QC Tabs;
OFF-NONE-ON (SPST); Red Transparent, Black bezel.

==
Greg
W9GB

Old December 31st 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

The Weller WCC103 temperature sensor is actually an iron-constantan
thermocouple (possibly Type J), although Weller used Type K thermocouples
for its EC station series .
Sensitivity believed to be about 50 µV/°C
The relationship between temperature and voltage produced is NON-Linear.

What is a thermocouple sensor?
A thermocouple is a sensor for measuring temperature. It consists of two
dissimilar metals, joined together at one end. When the junction of the two
metals is heated or cooled a voltage is produced that can be correlated back
to the temperature. The thermocouple alloys are commonly available as wire.

When replacing the WCC103 sensor the leads MUST be correctly installed or
the iron stays on continuously and eventually overheats.
The Iron (magnetic) lead connects to the RED wire
The Constantan (copper-nickel alloy/non-magnetic) lead connects to the
YELLOW wire

gb

Old January 2nd 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Ch19 wrote:
I threw out all of my Weller irons, all a bunch of crap.

I've had two WCC100's in my shop since they came out, probably more than
ten years now. I've never had any problems with them, running them each
10-20 hours/week, doing stuff from tiny surface mount to some jewelry
soldering to the occasional connector pin with #12 wire. I don't expect
them to last forever but I do take care of them and don't leave them on
longer than I need to.

Commercial outfits I've worked for have had similar experiences with the
more expensive Weller irons, usually running them 40+ hours/week. I've
seen them last for years this way, and yes, I've seen a few fail but the
former well overshadows the latter.

Wellers are probably no better or worse overall than anything else.

- Galen, W8LNA

Old January 15th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

gwatts -

Why the hide and seek with this "Ch19" id ??

gb

"Ch19" wrote in message
.. .

I threw out all of my Weller irons, all a bunch of crap.

FA: Weller EC2000 Electronic Control Soldering Station Steve KU9C Swap 0 September 20th 06 01:07 AM
WTB: Soldering Iron: Weller AL G. Swap 0 March 9th 06 02:51 PM
FA: Weller Soldering Station mike Swap 2 September 21st 04 06:53 PM
FA: Weller Soldering Station mike Homebrew 0 September 21st 04 03:46 AM
Help fixing Weller EC2002A Soldering Station **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** Homebrew 4 September 18th 04 04:35 AM