Old November 1st 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default weller EC2002C soldering station

I was given this Weller soldering station. The display is not working. It
does flash 888 on it when first turned on. The tip does heat up, but I have
not determined if I can vary the heat or not. Also have an extra soldering
pencle that plugs in it. Changed them to see if the display would light,
but it didnot. Any hints on it ?

Also how do I open it up ? Screws under the 4 rubber feet ?

Old November 1st 08, 06:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ralph Mowery wrote:
I was given this Weller soldering station. The display is not working. It
does flash 888 on it when first turned on. The tip does heat up, but I have
not determined if I can vary the heat or not. Also have an extra soldering
pencle that plugs in it. Changed them to see if the display would light,
but it didnot. Any hints on it ?

Also how do I open it up ? Screws under the 4 rubber feet ?

I have same model unit with same exact problem. Yest it does regulate
the temperature. I haven't figured out the display problem either and
the thermistor in the iron seems to "ohm out" properly. Let me know what
you find. I never could find schematics for it. I used it just today on
a PIC project. Shame to throw it out, but I would like to read the
temperature.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P
Old November 1st 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I think something is getting hung during the self-test. It should
flash 888 for two seconds at start-up. The sensor is a platinum
RTD. Pretty fancy for a soldering iron! Too bad this model has
earned a reputation for being unreliable.

There's a "tech sheet" with trouble shooting info but I've never
found it online.

We had one of these irons at work and replaced it with a WTCP
station.

RFI-EMI-GUY wrote in
:

Old November 2nd 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"RFI-EMI-GUY" wrote in message
I have same model unit with same exact problem. Yest it does regulate the
temperature. I haven't figured out the display problem either and the
thermistor in the iron seems to "ohm out" properly. Let me know what you
find. I never could find schematics for it. I used it just today on a PIC
project. Shame to throw it out, but I would like to read the temperature.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT

I found several schematics for different models. Never did find the one
that matches mine. I opened it up and it seems there is a ceramic board
with surface devices on it. Almost no user replicable parts. Atleast for
my skill level. I was hoping it would be the discrete parts. I can work
with them. Oh well, it was free and is a good soldering iron even without
the display. I do have a couple of spare parts for it also.

de KU4PT

Old November 3rd 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I used to work for a company (ARCO Oil) that used a bunch of those. Weller
closely guarded their schematics and even now they will not release them.
We sent them in for repair but they charged about as much as to buy a new
one. Here is what I found over fixing a dozen or so.
1) The wire nuts came loose inside
2) Intermittent wires in the cable going to the soldering iron. Flex the
cable while ohming end to end.
3) The surface mount electrolytics go bad. These were MOST of the failures
and I ended up changing all of them in the rest of the 25 irons we
used over about 3 years.
4) The cheap temperature set wire wound pot gets worn out.

Most of the parts in this unit are consumer rated parts and are available.
Never had any problems with the ceramic boards in the units or with the
printed resistors on them. Had a couple of chips fail. It's an A to D with
a seven segment driver built in. They are available still.

Other than the above, they are really a darn good soldering iron and keep
the tip temperature regulated fairly closely.

I still have 2 of them so if you decide to throw them away, send them to me
and I can use them for parts to keep mine in repair. I will reimburse you
for your shipping.

I have more info If you need it.

Rich Klesstinez
3728 Crestline Rd
Fort Worth Tx 76107

Email:
(my name, lower case, no spaces) at charter (dot) net

Old November 3rd 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"RFI-EMI-GUY" wrote in message
[...]

Since the temperature control on mine seems to be working can I assume
the variable pot, the Iron cable and the Iron thermistor are OK? Mine
flashes "EEE" on turn on and then the display goes blank. There are a
number of leaded capacitors on the display board (Mine is actually an
older model 2002-A version). I will try "shotgunning" a;; of the
capacitors with new ones and keep you in mind for the disposal if I buy
a replacement.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P
Old November 3rd 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Joe: The ones that I have. One board is with the distplays on it has a
couple of regular caps. The other board is ceramic and it had all surface
mount parts. The ceramic board is the one that seems to always give me the
problems. Anyway give it a try.
rich

Old November 4th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Rich Klestinez" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I will probably keep the soldering station. It seems
to work fine, just no display. Weller made another modle that seemed to be
the same unit without the display. I guess that if Weller did repair them,
they probably just changed out the controller board. Similar to what the
Commador computer people did. They had a flat repair rate. Don;t recall
exectally,but it was something like the board cost them $ 50 and they
charged about $ 70 to repair the computer. All they did was throw away the
old insides and replace them. Seems this way is cheeper than the labor to
repair them.

Old November 4th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

exectally,but it was something like the board cost them $ 50 and vethey
charged about $ 70 to repair the computer. All they did was throw away the
old insides and replace them. Seems this way is cheeper than the labor to
repair them.

On the topic of Weller soldering irons , I would appreciate info on the
following :

At a fleamarket I acquired a Weller soldering iron with a DIL16
de-soldering pad (very handy to remove ICs with up to 16 pins.
However , the heater element (Weller part nr 24410 , 24V-50W) is
defective (open circuit)
By Googling I haven't been successful finding a US supplier for the
heater element.
Can someone on this NG please help with US supplier info ( in the hope
the cost of a replacement element will not make it necessary for me
having to talk to my bank manager).

TIA for any advice

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
Old November 4th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Nov 1, 4:23*pm, Grumpy The Mule wrote:
We had one of these irons at work and replaced it with a WTCP
station.

I cannot say how much I love the WTCP's for being a rugged reliable
workhorse.

Tim N3QE

Weller WCC100 Soldering Station gb[_2_] Equipment 3 January 15th 08 04:48 AM
FA: Weller EC2000 Electronic Control Soldering Station Steve KU9C Swap 0 September 20th 06 01:07 AM
FA: Weller Soldering Station mike Swap 2 September 21st 04 06:53 PM
FA: Weller Soldering Station mike Homebrew 0 September 21st 04 03:46 AM
Help fixing Weller EC2002A Soldering Station **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** Homebrew 4 September 18th 04 04:35 AM