Old September 17th 04, 05:34 AM
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Default Help fixing Weller EC2002A Soldering Station

Help, my beloved 20 year old Weller EC2002A Soldering Station has
cr@pped out! Although it seems to heat up normally and can even be
adjusted, the display only flashes "Err" briefly when turned on. I
checked the thermistor in the iron and it seems to be OK. I even bought
a used newer but junky looking EC2002-0 controller, but it seems to
have other problems and has different parts inside so a swap is not in
order.

How does one fix these?
TIA

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts By: Jack Handey
Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad. And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Old September 17th 04, 01:55 PM
G.Beat

"**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**" wrote in message
Help, my beloved 20 year old Weller EC2002A Soldering Station has cr@pped
out! Although it seems to heat up normally and can even be adjusted, the
display only flashes "Err" briefly when turned on. I checked the
thermistor in the iron and it seems to be OK. I even bought a used newer
but junky looking EC2002-0 controller, but it seems to have other
problems and has different parts inside so a swap is not in order.

How does one fix these?
TIA

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

Joe -

Likely the problem is with the sensor/SCR circuitry on the control board
within the EC2002A base unit. 3 choices for repair:

1. You perform component level repair/troubleshooting on control board.
Since it has worked for 20 years, it sounds like one of the ICs (display)
may have failed. Weller tech support/repair (North Carolina) may be able to
help with part numbers.

2. Send unit to Weller for repair

3. Swap out (change out) the EC2002A control board.

Bob Wurth (eBay ID: bjwurth6969) has been selling NOS Weller control boards
for the EC series from time to time at reasonable prices (he had a Weller
EC1002 control board with no bidders last week).

Greg, w9gb

The

Old September 17th 04, 02:46 PM
Eric

Joe,

Try to check the electrolytic capacitors. I has one Weller the three
capacitors gone. I change them and run again. Check for high ESR on
electrolytic capacitors.

Good luck

Eric

Old September 17th 04, 10:25 PM
G.Beat

"G.Beat" wrote in message
"**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**" wrote in message
Help, my beloved 20 year old Weller EC2002A Soldering Station has cr@pped
out! Although it seems to heat up normally and can even be adjusted, the
display only flashes "Err" briefly when turned on. I checked the
thermistor in the iron and it seems to be OK. I even bought a used newer
but junky looking EC2002-0 controller, but it seems to have other
problems and has different parts inside so a swap is not in order.

How does one fix these?
TIA

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

Joe -

Likely the problem is with the sensor/SCR circuitry on the control board
within the EC2002A base unit.

Correction, if you believe the temperature sensor/control SCR portion is
working correctly - a external tmeperature sensor is useful - as you rotate
the temperature knob -- then definitley look for display related (component)
issues - such as mentioned by Eric

Old September 18th 04, 04:35 AM
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

All very good advice:

1. "Check for bad caps on display", yup after 30 years that could be a
problem
2. "Send back to Weller to have them fix." Why didn't I think of that,
probably a lot cheaper than a new one and I like this one!

Thanks Guys!