Old May 22nd 05, 02:32 AM
Guy Atkins

Default FA: Rare Kiwa MAP with Synchronous AM Detection - 1 Day Left

I'm auctioning this Kiwa MAP unit for a friend of mine. The auction ends
Sunday evening, 8pm PDT.

Thanks for looking!

Old May 22nd 05, 09:24 AM

I never used the MAP, but the AR7030 has a variable width synchro and
you can use passband tuning to go off center. You can pick either side
band or a combination of the two, or even DSB.

Old May 22nd 05, 08:40 PM
Guy Atkins

I've owned two AR7030s, and I'd agree with you about the flexibility of
synchronous detection in that receiver. Among all receivers I've had
experience with, the AR7030 probably stands to benefit the least from a Kiwa
MAP. The AOR rig is a pretty impressive package even in stock form-- you can
accomplish a lot with its S-AM mode, PBT, notch, and other features.

Guy

ups.com...

Old May 22nd 05, 08:52 PM

The 7030 synchro is almost too flexible. You need to pick both the
filter bandwidth and move the passband to use it effectively. The radio
remembers the last shift you used as well as the filter, so when you
plop it into synchro, it might actually be set up inappropriately for
the new signal. It makes sense to save the last settings for most modes
in the radio (LSB, USB, whatever), but I would have put something in
the firmware (or at least an option) to pick an appropriate set of
starting conditions when you switch from AM to AM synch. My guess is
the designer figured the kind of person who uses synch uses it all the
time, so they would stay in synch mode and use the automatic synch
feature. I prefer to search for signals in AM, then switch to synch if
I think it is appropriate.