Old March 28th 04, 03:01 PM
D.

Default Need help: Radio in Car .. couple of problems

Hi,
I am beginner .. sorry if some of this seems like stupid question(s):

I have installed a ICom F2010(2020) into my Jeep.
The radio unit itself is installed in the back where the CD changer
was, the antenna cable is a bit too long, so it is stored in a loop.
Control unit is seperated with 8 meter cable from main unit and is
mounted underneath the ashtray (so basically it is sitting above the
gear box).

The antenna is mounted on the roof the car:
A GME 409L (ground independend), mounted on a spring S004

Frequencies used are in the 460Mhz-490Mhz range.

The problems I am experiencing now:
- Whenever the unit is Rx ... I can hear a whisling sound, which is
only audible if I accelerate (there seems to be a relationship to the
RPMs ?)
- If the car is stationary I can Rx ok, once the car is moving (maybe
50 kmh) the Rx is braking up

Is above normal, if not .. any ideas how to fix it ?

I am aware that I should shorten the antenna cable, rather than
looping it.
Could the transmition be causing the whisling noises ?
Is the antenna I am using a piece of s(*^&(^ and should I use a
different one ?
Thanks, D.