Old November 4th 11, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Vibrator power supply

I came by what appears to be a power supply module from some old
military gear. It uses a synchronous vibrator unless my analysis of
the circuit it way off. My plan is to build a circuit to replace the
vibrator with a couple of power FETs driven by a 555 osc and a bridge
rectfier to handle rectification of the output. I was wondering if
there were any circuit designs around before I started to reinvent the
wheel. Also what freqency do they use. Seems like I heard 100Hz at one
time but I dont trust my memory on something I learned 40 years ago.
Any help would be much appreciate.

Jimmie
Old November 4th 11, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011, JIMMIE wrote:

I came by what appears to be a power supply module from some old
military gear. It uses a synchronous vibrator unless my analysis of
the circuit it way off. My plan is to build a circuit to replace the
vibrator with a couple of power FETs driven by a 555 osc and a bridge
rectfier to handle rectification of the output. I was wondering if
there were any circuit designs around before I started to reinvent the
wheel. Also what freqency do they use. Seems like I heard 100Hz at one
time but I dont trust my memory on something I learned 40 years ago.
Any help would be much appreciate.

The earliest replacements would have been a couple of power transistors on
a heatsink, with a few resistors and capacitors, relying on the existing
transformer for feedback (and frequency control).

Of course a lot of early power inverters were about the same, save that
they weren't built around a vibrator supply.

Look in forty year old ARRL Handbooks, I'm certain the 1971 edition (the
first I ever saw) has a simple inverter that is on that level.

I'm sure some built fancier ones, but I'm sure many got by with something
pretty simple. SOme small companies that deal in antique radios sell
virbrator replacements.

Michael VE2BVW
Old November 4th 11, 10:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Non-sychronous solid state replacements are avaialble here-

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

in the "Radio parts & restoration" section, p/n P-V2015N

H.

Old November 4th 11, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael Black wrote:
[...]

Yes, there are several schematics on the web for solid state vibrator
replacements, but most are too simplistic and are prone to failure due to
unsuppressed transients destroying the semiconductors.
There is one that appears to be a good design at
http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/v/temp/VIBRA2.jpg.html. The component
values are all indicated on the schematic. The circuit can be built into a
salvaged vibrator can. Be sure to provide some method of heatsinking for
the transistors. The only drawback that I can see with this circuit is the
lack of "dead time", that is, a short time interval at the switching point
to keep both transistors from conducting at the same time. A more involved
design might be able to eliminate that problem.
This circuit is the one I would build if I were in need of a vibrator
replacement.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Old November 4th 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael Black wrote:
[...]

Here's a circuit that uses a digital gate to provide the "dead time" needed
to protect the transistors.
http://www.portabletubes.co.uk/sitefiles/ausbatt.htm

Old November 7th 11, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 11/04/2011 10:17 AM, JIMMIE wrote:
I came by what appears to be a power supply module from some old
military gear. It uses a synchronous vibrator unless my analysis of
the circuit it way off. My plan is to build a circuit to replace the
vibrator with a couple of power FETs driven by a 555 osc and a bridge
rectfier to handle rectification of the output. I was wondering if
there were any circuit designs around before I started to reinvent the
wheel. Also what freqency do they use. Seems like I heard 100Hz at one
time but I dont trust my memory on something I learned 40 years ago.
Any help would be much appreciate.

Jimmie

I believe that military equipment was 400 hz...

(if so, the xfmr would not be usable at 60hz)

If it's in working condition it would be easy enough to check.

Old November 12th 11, 11:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Location: helensville new zealand

philo wrote in :

On 11/04/2011 10:17 AM, JIMMIE wrote:
I came by what appears to be a power supply module from some old
military gear. It uses a synchronous vibrator unless my analysis of
the circuit it way off. My plan is to build a circuit to replace the
vibrator with a couple of power FETs driven by a 555 osc and a bridge
rectfier to handle rectification of the output. I was wondering if
there were any circuit designs around before I started to reinvent the
wheel. Also what freqency do they use. Seems like I heard 100Hz at one
time but I dont trust my memory on something I learned 40 years ago.
Any help would be much appreciate.

Jimmie

I believe that military equipment was 400 hz...

(if so, the xfmr would not be usable at 60hz)

If it's in working condition it would be easy enough to check.

Well the 400 Hz is a bit odd for a vibrator pack.
Are you sure that the supply wasn't designed for 400Hz AC?
That could be explained by use in Aircraft where 400HZ supply
is quite common. Most mechanical vibrators actually do run at
about 100 Hz. I have built solid state replacement for several
and they all had that in common.
Of course the builder could have used a 400 Hz transformer, but that
wouldn't match a normal vibrator at all.
BTW the old Marconi spark transmitters (like on the Titanic) used a 400HZ
tuned keying relay to protect the operator. Just like a modern zero
crossing switch!
Cliff wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA
Old November 21st 11, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Nov 12, 5:08*am, clifford wright
wrote:
philo wrote :

[...]

Clifford, would you share schematic of the one you built. Im using my
function generator to drive a flip-flop to drive a pair of power FETs.
Seems to be working but I would like to see someone elses design. BTW
this thing seems to work from 50 to 500 HZ. There is also a winding on
it that may be an input to run it off the mains. Not sure of that yet
as I have never seen one before.

Jimmie
Old November 22nd 11, 12:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

NOS vibrators are avaialble from Leeds Radio-

http://leedsradio.com/parts-odds.html

H.
Old November 22nd 11, 01:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011, Howard Eisenhauer wrote:

NOS vibrators are avaialble from Leeds Radio-

http://leedsradio.com/parts-odds.html

Hey, weren't they just featured in the New York Times?

Michael VE2BVW