Old July 29th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Kim Kim is offline

Default Miniccradio Up In Smoke

After months of promotion- no longer for sale?

http://miniccradio.com/

Old July 29th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 29 Jul 2006 14:23:50 -0700, "Kim" wrote:

After months of promotion- no longer for sale?

http://miniccradio.com/

Is this guy related to Bob Grove?

Old July 29th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Kim,

Frankly, the Mini CCRadio, as projected, was just a "me-too" radio,
offering nothing new to the purchaser. I wrote to C. Crane about this -
after all, if a new radio is being designed and is to be sold for
$150.00, it ought to offer, among its features, HD-Radio (IBOC),
certainly, at least, on FM (and probably AM too), whether or not some
people want or like this new form of broadcasting (personally I see no
need for it!).

In addition, I think a newly designed "long-range" AM radio should
definitely feature a good synchronous detection circuit. I realize that
there are some few people who say they do not care for this circuit
(frankly, it is my belief that they do not know how to properly use it
or have not experienced a good one) but, even if that is the case, the
circuit can always be turned off.

$150.00 is a lot of money for a radio which features no new design
features. So, unless C. Crane rethinks this entire project (and obtains
the services of a good radio designer), it is my opinion that this
discontinuance is no loss whatsoever. After all, we have the Sony
ICF-SW7600GR in the $150.00 range and the GE Superadio III in the
$40.00 range and these two radios (and, of course, there are some
others) should easily suit the vast majority of long-distance AM
listeners who do not or cannot buy a true communications receiver or
who (just) want a portable radio for MW DXing.

I must also say, in conclusion, that, in my opinion, the original
CCRadio and (I should presume) the CCRadio Plus (I have no experience
with that model but I understand overall performance is the same) are
disappointments. Not only do they not receive any better than the GE
Superadios (they often receive less well!) their construction quality
leaves much to be desired. They are not even as well-made as the GE SRs
and though that model is not the paragon of construction quality, it
costs only $40.00 not $150.00!

As always, the above is my opinion only.

Best,

Joe

Old July 30th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com,
"Joe Analssandrini" wrote:

Kim wrote:
[...]

The people who post that sync is overrated are either Trolling or don't
know what they are talking about.

$150.00 is a lot of money for a radio which features no new design
features. So, unless C. Crane rethinks this entire project (and obtains
the services of a good radio designer), it is my opinion that this
discontinuance is no loss whatsoever. After all, we have the Sony
ICF-SW7600GR in the $150.00 range and the GE Superadio III in the
$40.00 range and these two radios (and, of course, there are some
others) should easily suit the vast majority of long-distance AM
listeners who do not or cannot buy a true communications receiver or
who (just) want a portable radio for MW DXing.

The Sony 7600G and 7600GR are tough acts to follow.

I must also say, in conclusion, that, in my opinion, the original
CCRadio and (I should presume) the CCRadio Plus (I have no experience
with that model but I understand overall performance is the same) are
disappointments. Not only do they not receive any better than the GE
Superadios (they often receive less well!) their construction quality
leaves much to be desired. They are not even as well-made as the GE SRs
and though that model is not the paragon of construction quality, it
costs only $40.00 not $150.00!

Snip

Another problem with smaller AMBCB radios is the ferrite antenna has to
be smaller with less gain. A new design radio for AM should have sync
detection and I guess the HD capability if the standard survives in its
current form.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 31st 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 29 Jul 2006 15:56:18 -0700, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:

In addition, I think a newly designed "long-range" AM radio should
definitely feature a good synchronous detection circuit. I realize that
there are some few people who say they do not care for this circuit
(frankly, it is my belief that they do not know how to properly use it
or have not experienced a good one) but, even if that is the case, the
circuit can always be turned off.

A sync detector for ground wave AM below 1700 khz ??

bob
k5qwg

[...]

I have both CC radios, and the SuperRadio, too -- the CCs may not
receive much better, but they have a lot more features and 2 more
bands. They ain't $40 radios, tho' I think the SuperRadio is a bargain
at its price.

Old July 31st 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

What was the little horizontal door under the LCD display for?
Earbud storage or something like that?

Will

Old July 31st 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dear Bob,

If you DX on the MW at all you have surely experienced
selectable-sideband distortion (where the sideband[s] is/are received
"out-of-phase" with the carrier). Around sundown, all night, and up to
a bit after sunup, you will be receiving both skywave and groundwave on
many MW broadcasts, especially those from more than, say, fifty miles
away.

That is what a good sync detector circuit will improve. Do any of your
receivers feature this circuit? Have you ever tried it on MW in the
evening or at night? There is a BIG difference in the quality of the
received MW (AM below 1700 kHz) signal with the sync in use.

Best,

Joe

Old July 31st 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Will wrote:
What was the little horizontal door under the LCD display for?
Earbud storage or something like that?

I almost thought it was a cassette player slot, you know like they have
on car radios. But then I remembered the size of the radio....and said
..... NAHHHH.

I wonder what happened to the prototypes. Would be interesting to get
one just for collection's sake.

--
Stephanie Weil
New York City

Old July 31st 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Shortwave strings off of the high end of AM/MW.
cuhulin

Old August 1st 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 31 Jul 2006 14:10:59 -0700, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:

Dear Bob,

If you DX on the MW at all you have surely experienced
selectable-sideband distortion (where the sideband[s] is/are received
"out-of-phase" with the carrier). Around sundown, all night, and up to
a bit after sunup, you will be receiving both skywave and groundwave on
many MW broadcasts, especially those from more than, say, fifty miles
away.

That is what a good sync detector circuit will improve. Do any of your
receivers feature this circuit? Have you ever tried it on MW in the
evening or at night? There is a BIG difference in the quality of the
received MW (AM below 1700 kHz) signal with the sync in use.

Best,

Joe

I just tried the sync circuit of my Sony 2010 on a weak 820 khz WBAP
in Dallas (I'm in San Antonio, 270 miles South). Much to my surprise,
the sync makes a difference. It doesn't always help, but it did here.

bob
k5qwg

White Smoke dxAce Shortwave 65 April 21st 05 08:30 PM
Tuner smoke! Ken Bessler Antenna 0 January 17th 05 03:29 AM
HOW? SMOKE ODOR REMOVER? Dave & Daphne Schertzer Swap 8 July 14th 04 11:46 PM
smoke smell delete how?? lorentzson Boatanchors 21 February 25th 04 07:24 PM