Old June 1st 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
No Name

Default Metal mast for inverted V antenna support--will it work?

What is the result of using a metal mast as the center support of an inverted V
antenna. Will it work and if so can resonable low SWR be obtained using a
tuner? Any advice appreciated.

TIR

Old June 1st 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

What is the result of using a metal mast as the center support of an inverted V
antenna. Will it work and if so can resonable low SWR be obtained using a
tuner? Any advice appreciated.

TIR

There must be a million hams using their towers as the center support for
their vees. In theory the tower is at the electrical center and has little
or no effect. At least this is my theory!!! There are a few pundits who might
want to argue the point.

Irv VE6BP

Old June 1st 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message news
What is the result of using a metal mast as the center support of an
inverted V
antenna. Will it work and if so can resonable low SWR be obtained using a
tuner? Any advice appreciated.

TIR

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

No problem at all. I use a steel telescopic pylon, 20 m long.

It supports two inverted V's: one for 40 m and one for 80 m. The wires are
kept 20 cm apart by 5/8" plastic tubing. The two inverted V's are fed in
parallel through a 1/4 balun at the end of a 50 ohms cable.

VSWR is almost 1/1 for 40 m. On 80 m the VSWR varies from 1/1 to 1,8/1.

At least 200 kHz of the 80 m band can be within 1,5/1. Of course, the length
of the elements determines witch part of the band that is.

Old June 1st 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Philo" wrote in message
No problem at all. I use a steel telescopic pylon, 20 m long.

It supports two inverted V's: one for 40 m and one for 80 m. The wires are
kept 20 cm apart by 5/8" plastic tubing. The two inverted V's are fed in
parallel through a 1/4 balun at the end of a 50 ohms cable.

VSWR is almost 1/1 for 40 m. On 80 m the VSWR varies from 1/1 to 1,8/1.

At least 200 kHz of the 80 m band can be within 1,5/1. Of course, the
length of the elements determines witch part of the band that is.

That should have been "...which part of the band that is".
Sorry, my English stinks...

Old June 1st 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article , somebody wrote:

What is the result of using a metal mast as the center support of an inverted V
antenna. Will it work and if so can resonable low SWR be obtained using a
tuner? Any advice appreciated.

If the metal mast is isolated from the inverted V feedpoint (e.g. you
use a center insulator) then there will be no direct current
conduction onto the mast. And, if the inverted V is symmetrical with
respect to the mast, there won't be much opportunity for current to be
induced onto the mast... it'll be exposed to equal-and-opposite RF
fields from the two sides of the inverted dipole and the fields will
cancel.

Since there will be little or no RF current flowing on the mast, there
will be little or no effect on the antenna's feedpoint impedance and
radiation pattern.

If you use a coax feedline, you could very easily have more RF flowing
on the outside of the coax than on the mast... due to direct
conduction at the feedpoint (if you don't use a balun) and due to
induction (if the feedline is not positioned symmetrically with
respect to the inverted V).

An inverted-V on a metal mast is perfectly capable of having a low
SWR, even without a tuner. I have a three-wire inverted-V "fan
dipole" (wires cut for 40/20/10-meter operation) mounted from the top
of a 25' metal mast, and the SWR is under 2:1 throughout the width of
all of these bands. The SWR depends far more on the angle of the V,
and the antenna's height above ground, than it does on the presence or
absence of the metal mast. Ditto for the antenna's pattern.

So, the answer is "Yes, it will work". As long as you don't connect
the V itself, or the coax feedline braid, to the top of the mast,
you're unlikely to be able to tell the difference between using a
metal mast and a completely nonconductive mast.

You should, of course, apply all relevant safety precautions with
respect to lightning, power lines, and so forth.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old June 2nd 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message news
What is the result of using a metal mast as the center support of an
inverted V
antenna. Will it work and if so can resonable low SWR be obtained using a
tuner? Any advice appreciated.

TIR

I had an inverted V for 80m supported from the top of my Rohn 25 tower

It was not directly supported by the tower but ratherit was suspended from
the end of a wooden yardarm.

Jimmie

Old June 2nd 07, 11:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Philo" wrote in message
"Philo" wrote in message
No problem at all. I use a steel telescopic pylon, 20 m long.

It supports two inverted V's: one for 40 m and one for 80 m. The wires
are kept 20 cm apart by 5/8" plastic tubing. The two inverted V's are fed
in parallel through a 1/4 balun at the end of a 50 ohms cable.

VSWR is almost 1/1 for 40 m. On 80 m the VSWR varies from 1/1 to 1,8/1.

At least 200 kHz of the 80 m band can be within 1,5/1. Of course, the
length of the elements determines witch part of the band that is.

That should have been "...which part of the band that is".
Sorry, my English stinks...

Sorry, one more correction: the balun is a 1/1 type.

Old June 4th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 1, 2:43 pm, wrote:
What is the result of using a metal mast as the center support of an inverted V
antenna. Will it work and if so can resonable low SWR be obtained using a
tuner? Any advice appreciated.

TIR

I actually prefer a metal mast. In case of a lightning strike, the
mast
takes the bulk of the energy to ground, instead of my coax doing all
the
dirty work. A vertical on top of the mast can act as a lightning rod,
so all bets are off on those. But with my coax supported a foot or so
below the tip of the mast, feeding dipoles, I've taken strikes with no
coax
damage so far. There is some energy that runs the feedlines, but it's
fairly
small compared to the mast itself. It's enough to make an audible arc
sound
at my coax/bulkhead ground connection though. Thats with the
connectors
screwed in too.. I've never noticed any real RF coupling problems with
metal mast. You will see that with metal that parallels the antenna
legs
themselves. One of the worst coupling problems I ever saw as far as
tuning, was with a set of dipoles used next to a large mobile home.
All that metal surface gave us a fit. I had to try quite a few leg
locations/wire
lengths before I could get it tuned halfway decent. That was one of
the
rare cases I've seen where even the lowest band had problems.
MK

Old June 4th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

screwed in too.. I've never noticed any real RF coupling problems with
metal mast. You will see that with metal that parallels the antenna
legs

Amazing we have not heard from the "EZNEC Experts" with plots of a metal
vs. non-metal support ...

JS

mast support question genev Antenna 6 April 16th 05 06:38 PM
FA: No Bids:-( HYGAIN TELEX MSHD LOWER MAST SUPPORT HAM-M IV V ROTORS RICH-WA2RQY Equipment 0 March 12th 05 05:07 PM
FA: No Bids:-( HYGAIN TELEX MSHD LOWER MAST SUPPORT HAM-M IV V ROTORS RICH-WA2RQY CB 0 March 12th 05 05:07 PM
WTB: HAM III Bottom Mast Support Doug and Cindy Deutsch Swap 2 January 4th 04 06:19 AM
WTB: LOWER MAST SUPPORT HAM III G E BLANKENSHIP Swap 1 November 20th 03 10:40 PM