Old March 18th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default High Sierra Antennas

Has anyone used their products ?

I looked on E-ham net reviews, and the results
are a mixed bag.

What i'm interested in is their new "Frontier"
multi-band antenna (consisting of a remote screwdriver
HF antenna, and a UHF/VHF antenna that are mounted
on a tripod).

But for $675, the price is in "outrageous"
territory.

Wondering if anyone has actually purchased/used
one, and if it's worth the money.

Yeah, i'm lazy, don't feel like messing around with
manually moving taps on a coil, or have to adjust
lengths of the antenna sections each time i switch
bands.

2nd Question: ...... mounting a scanner antenna
near the antennas for the rig, what do most folks
use to prevent blowing out the rx front end on
the scanner ? (from keying up the HF rig).

Old March 18th 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 20:02:15 -0500, "noespaem"
wrote:

Has anyone used their products ?

I looked on E-ham net reviews, and the results
are a mixed bag.

What i'm interested in is their new "Frontier"
multi-band antenna (consisting of a remote screwdriver
HF antenna, and a UHF/VHF antenna that are mounted
on a tripod).

But for $675, the price is in "outrageous"
territory.

Wondering if anyone has actually purchased/used
one, and if it's worth the money.

Yeah, i'm lazy, don't feel like messing around with
manually moving taps on a coil, or have to adjust
lengths of the antenna sections each time i switch
bands.

2nd Question: ...... mounting a scanner antenna
near the antennas for the rig, what do most folks
use to prevent blowing out the rx front end on
the scanner ? (from keying up the HF rig).

Hmm. Most folks use xtance.

w.
Old March 18th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Since I don't own one, you have to take this as a generalization.

Any HF mobile antenna is going to be a compromise, just won't be as
'good' as a real-live full sized antenna. If that same mobile HF
antenna is used as a base, it's still gonna be a compromise. Of
course, if you don't have the room for that real-live full sized
antenna, then that little one is certainly a better option than no
antenna at all.

The cost of this antenna relates more to convenience than anything
else. Just how much is convenience worth to you? Being naturally
cheap, I can change a lot of 'taps' for that amount of money, so I'm
not likely to own one very soon (after I win the lottery!). I don't
have any deed restrictions, and quite frankly, I couldn't care less
what the neighbors think about antennas... within reason.

The VHF antenna and the HF antenna. As previously said, distance
between the two makes for 'better'. What's the 'best' distance? A
nice answer is, as much as possible. That's the same for any two (or
more) antennas not just HF/VHF. Along with not having a 'zap' happen,
it's also nice if the radiation/reception patterns are disturbed as
little as possible.

Great answer, huh? Lot's of specifics, CYAs, and so on. Oh well...
- 'Doc

Tarheel vs High Sierra (Sidekick) antennas Newman[_2_] Antenna 0 November 28th 07 12:11 AM
FS High Sierra HF antenna Howard Sherer Swap 0 July 13th 07 08:35 PM
High Sierra Screwdriver Butch Magee Antenna 4 May 12th 07 12:58 AM
High Sierra Screwdriver nx7u Antenna 2 May 12th 07 12:56 AM
high sierra antennas help STEVE TROOK Antenna 2 October 9th 03 06:01 AM