Old January 22nd 05, 10:31 PM
Omega

Default UNIDEN DEBUTS APCO 25 CAPABLE DIGITAL SCANNER

UNIDEN DEBUTS APCO 25 CAPABLE DIGITAL SCANNER AT CES

New Handheld Model Includes Advanced Scanner Technology

In an Ultra-Compact Design

LAS VEGAS, Nevada, January 6, 2005 - Uniden America Corporation, a leading
manufacturer of wireless consumer electronics, will introduce a new handheld
digital scanner, the Bearcat BCD396T, at the Consumer Electronics Show
(CES), January 6-9, 2005, at the Las Vegas Convention Center in booth
#14414. The BCD396T offers APCO 25 digital capability, allowing users to
monitor the activities and signals of city and government service
departments, utilizing advanced scanner technology in an all new compact,
handheld design.

Featuring APCO 25 capability, Uniden's BCD396T is poised to improve
interoperability between large cities currently using the digital systems
and those smaller municipalities that still operate on analog systems.
Uniden's BCD396T will not permit users to monitor encrypted signals from
national and local security organizations.

The Bearcat BCD396T also offers Close CallT RF Capture Technology, Dynamic
Memory Management, Fire Tone-Out as well as 5,500 channels and a frequency
range of 25MHz to 1300MHz, excluding cellular. This new model is slated to
hit shelves in late summer 2005.

"With the BCD396T, we listened to our consumers and have incorporated their
feedback on features they wanted, into a high-quality product that meets the
demands of both professionals, such as law enforcement officials, and
scanner enthusiasts," said Paul Opitz, Uniden Product Manager. "For example,
we have eliminated the proprietary battery pack and removed the need for an
add-in board for APCO 25, reduced the size of the model, and added a backlit
keypad."

2

Uniden also introduces additional scanner offerings, including the BC246T
TrunkTracker III as well as NASCAR®-branded models such as the SC230,
BC72XLT, and BC92XLT.

http://www.uniden.com/press/Apco25Scanner.pdf

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ners/1396.html

http://www.grove-ent.com/radiorumors.html

Pricing is listed at $895, but that will change. I like the flexible memory
and channelization. And the built in Frequency Counter/react tuning. And
using NiMh batteries.

Old February 9th 05, 11:55 PM
Luddite

The Bearcat BCD396T also offers Close CallT RF Capture Technology, Dynamic
Memory Management, Fire Tone-Out as well as 5,500 channels and a frequency
range of 25MHz to 1300MHz, excluding cellular. This new model is slated to
hit shelves in late summer 2005.

"With the BCD396T, we listened to our consumers and have incorporated their
feedback on features they wanted, into a high-quality product that meets the
demands of both professionals, such as law enforcement officials, and

what about a front end that does not overload in urban areas?

Old February 10th 05, 02:42 AM
Brian

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:55:59 +0000 (UTC), Luddite

move out of the getto you will not have that problem

Old February 10th 05, 03:54 AM
Luddite

wrote:

move out of the getto you will not have that problem

go and hump your masters leg

Old February 12th 05, 12:15 AM
Pete KE9OA

Unfortunately, many of the scanners have been not so hot............if it
wasn't a case of front end overload, it was a case of reciprocal mixing as a
result of the poor phase noise from the synthesizers. The Regency MX7000 was
an example of a poorly executed receiver. The Yaesu VR5000 is a
joke..........I hooked it up to one of my RF generators (Boonton 103D), and
this receiver was driven into RF clipping at only 50mV. At a 20mV RF level,
I could hear the signal at plus or minus 150kHz. For the record, the
generator has a phase noise characteristic of -140dBc @ 10kHz offset. Low
noise unit, suitable for avionics applications. The Icom R100 and the
AOR2002 weren't bad units............these radios used a passive
doubly-balanced diode ring mixer, but unfortunately, their synthesizers'
performance left a bit to be desired.
The Motorola radios seem to have the best front ends, at least in this
country. There are some overseas suppliers that make good equipment, but
unfortunately, these units are aimed at the land mobile community.
I did pick up the BC896, and for a cheap radio, it isn't bad. They appear to
have added another 30dB of gain to the AM I.F. strip, so at least, airband
performance is better.
Oh, and intermod isn't a problem limited to ghetto areas. It depends on how
well the radio was designed.

Pete

In article , says...

wrote:

move out of the getto you will not have that problem

go and hump your masters leg

The Bearcat BCD396T also offers Close CallT RF Capture Technology,
Dynamic
Memory Management, Fire Tone-Out as well as 5,500 channels and a
frequency
range of 25MHz to 1300MHz, excluding cellular. This new model is
slated to
hit shelves in late summer 2005.

"With the BCD396T, we listened to our consumers and have incorporated
their
feedback on features they wanted, into a high-quality product that
meets the
demands of both professionals, such as law enforcement officials, and

what about a front end that does not overload in urban areas?

Now THAT would be a miracle!!

How long did it take Uniden to finally stop using awful battery packs in
their handhelds? I'll be dead by the time they get a handheld that has
really decent RF performance.

BDK