Old September 3rd 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Kaz Kaz is offline

Default Convert DISH TV antenna for WIFI use. USB or RF FEED?

I am looking for an easy way to convert a standard DISH TV offset feed
dish for WIFI use. I desire to mount this thing on the rooftop for a
long distance rural link. I need to understand if it would be easier to
go the USB device route or what the ramifications are to going the
traditional rf and coax route? I think my install will require around
60 to 75 ft of feed line. Could I use a wifi "extender" amplifier at
midpoint to get past feedline losses? If I go the coax route, what
would be an easy way to feed the dish? Could I use a tiny off-the-shelf
external wifi antenna inside of a can or do I need to homebrew something
more extravagant?

If I go the usb device route to feed the dish, how can I extend that far?

I do need to connect this to a pc as a NIC or client, therefore remote
mounting a router wont do the job for me.

--- NOTE ON REPLY: YANK THE DOT UCE TO GET ME BACK PRIVATELY

Old September 3rd 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Kaz wrote:
I am looking for an easy way to convert a standard DISH TV offset feed
dish for WIFI use. I desire to mount this thing on the rooftop for a
long distance rural link.

You need to check the regulations for an unlicensed device in the U.S.
There are EIRP (radiated power) restrictions and using a dish antenna
may exceed them.

Since this is a ham radio group, I assume you have a ham license. This may
complicate things, because WiFi is not legal for ham useage. WiFi is very
specific in what is legal or not, so are hams, but they are different.

For example, the modulation method may not be allowed, encryption is not
allowed, commercial useage etc.

I do need to connect this to a pc as a NIC or client, therefore remote
mounting a router wont do the job for me.

Without some sort of device to manage the protocol, WiFi is pretty usesless.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old September 3rd 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Kaz

My first thought is to go the USB route, 60-70 ft of coax on any WiFi
band is a substantial loss that has to be (RF path) budgeted for. If you
are trying to save $ by using the "ex" dish, the coax and connector
costs can really blow the savings.

Have you actually modelled the link you are wanting to setup? There are
a number of GPL s/w packages that will help you out here. You'll then
know what your margins are in determining what mode to use.

Note that I dont know how effective the extender amplifiers are. Have a
look at their specs and incorporate them into the model too.

I dont know the max distance for USB but I guess an extender cable would
do it. I asume that is also a freq/distance/loss thing like the old
RS232 standard was. The simple answer is to lower the cable data rate
till it works.

I am sure you can also get WiFi repeaters if that is an option. I know
Cisco WAPs have that option as well.

Sorry, my knowledge isnt so complete on this subject.

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Old September 3rd 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Kaz" wrote in message
I am looking for an easy way to convert a standard DISH TV offset feed dish
for WIFI use. I desire to mount this thing on the rooftop for a long
distance rural link. I need to understand if it would be easier to go the
USB device route or what the ramifications are to going the traditional rf
and coax route? I think my install will require around 60 to 75 ft of feed
line. Could I use a wifi "extender" amplifier at midpoint to get past
feedline losses? If I go the coax route, what would be an easy way to feed
the dish? Could I use a tiny off-the-shelf external wifi antenna inside of
a can or do I need to homebrew something more extravagant?

If I go the usb device route to feed the dish, how can I extend that far?

I do need to connect this to a pc as a NIC or client, therefore remote
mounting a router wont do the job for me.

Hi Kaz

I have a system for extending WiFi using a Bridge mounted behind the
offset TV dish. That allows me to connect to my lap top thru CAT-5 cable.
As I read it, that wont work for your application. I'd like to learn more
about why the CAT-5 isnt acceptable in some systems.

Jerry (who is trying to extend wireless 1/4 mile to a shed in
the farm)

Old June 4th 11, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Kaz wrote in

I am looking for an easy way to convert a standard DISH TV
offset feed dish for WIFI use. I desire to mount this
thing on the rooftop for a long distance rural link. I
need to understand if it would be easier to go the USB
device route or what the ramifications are to going the
traditional rf and coax route? I think my install will
require around 60 to 75 ft of feed line. Could I use a
wifi "extender" amplifier at midpoint to get past feedline
losses? If I go the coax route, what would be an easy way
to feed the dish? Could I use a tiny off-the-shelf
external wifi antenna inside of a can or do I need to
homebrew something more extravagant?

If I go the usb device route to feed the dish, how can I
extend that far?

I do need to connect this to a pc as a NIC or client,
therefore remote mounting a router wont do the job for me.

Well I'm no Ham Pro but Network stuff I can help. You can USB to
the dish up to 75 feet BUT, you have to interrupt the line run
with a USB hub before you reach 30 feet, and for Geeky reasons I
don't understand I have been told that NEVER put the
interrupting USB hub evenly in the middle of a run. Sounds like
you need 2 hubs, each at about 25 feet of USB cable. Or; if you
can get to just under the roof in the attic use a HUB at 25
feet, and then a HUB at almost 30 more feet put a cheap Alfa
WiFi USB dongle ½ or 1 watt model [about 70 bucks] Just under
the antenna, then run 10 feet of the 400 Microwave cable from
the Alfa to the feed horn of the dish. 3 db loss at ten feet. I
am using the 3 DB gain Vertical ground that is popular with the
Alfa USB dongle indoors so it's located AT the feed horn itself,
but in your case the semi USB to near the dish then a RF cable
short run for the antenna will keep the Alfa unit out of the
weather. The Alfa watt ratings are crap; I would do the 1 watt
model if you want at least 300 miliwatts out.
My ½ watt model is struggling to be heard, so 3 bar signals it
can hear but the AP's can't hear me as well [I think].
Could be channel bleed though. If you wanted a lesson on FCC law
you would have asked so I wont go there [to much] and as you
know by my previous posts I don't care, but for your own good be
aware you may be pushing the limits. Unlike me if you have a HAM
ticket that could be a problem if you get caught. I'm not big on
POWER drunkenness anyway, sensitivity and narrow RF beams make
more sense and displays intelligence. And the challenge is fun
;-)

Inverted ground plane antenna: compared with normal GP and low dipole. Serge Stroobandt, ON4BAA Antenna 8 February 24th 11 11:22 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 06:26 AM
WHY - The simple Random Wire Antenna is better than the Dipole Antenna for the Shortwave Listener (SWL) RHF Shortwave 15 September 13th 05 08:28 AM
Imax ground plane question Vinnie S. CB 151 April 15th 05 05:21 AM