Old January 19th 04, 07:08 PM
N2EY

Default New ARRL Proposal

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/19/1/?nc=1

3 classes of license: Novice, General, Extra

5 wpm code test retained for Extra only

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra, Techs
and Tech Pluses get free upgrade to General

'Phone image subbands for 80/40/15 widened slightly

Old Novice subbands replaced by additional CW/data
and 'phone subbands on 80/40/15. Novices also get
privs on 6, 2, 222, and 440

Novice power level set below that requiring RF exposure
evaluation

Novice test to be 25 questions on "basics", General to be
derived from Tech and General, Extra pretty much as-is.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old January 19th 04, 07:32 PM
Bert Craig

"N2EY" wrote in message
m...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/19/1/?nc=1

3 classes of license: Novice, General, Extra

Ok, so far so good.

5 wpm code test retained for Extra only

I personally would like to see existing Tech, Tech+, and Novice licensees
upgraded to the new Novice ticket. (Tech+ privies.)

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra

Sounds reasonable.

, Techs
and Tech Pluses get free upgrade to General

Nope.

'Phone image subbands for 80/40/15 widened slightly

Depends on one's interpretation of "slightly," I suppose.

Old Novice subbands replaced by additional CW/data
and 'phone subbands on 80/40/15. Novices also get
privs on 6, 2, 222, and 440

Ok.

Novice power level set below that requiring RF exposure
evaluation

Also reasonable.

Novice test to be 25 questions on "basics"

Surely, they jest?!

, General to be
derived from Tech and General, Extra pretty much as-is.

Ok.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Thanks for the synopsis, Jim. This scenario certainly beats a blank.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old January 19th 04, 10:13 PM
Alun

(N2EY) wrote in news:c2356669.0401191008.a3c8376
@posting.google.com:

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/19/1/?nc=1

3 classes of license: Novice, General, Extra

The _only_ merit to that is that testing was free for Novices, so it would
reintroduce a free licence class. Provided the new class that happened to
be called Novice had Tech Plus privileges and they had to pass the current
Element 2 I would have no trouble with that

5 wpm code test retained for Extra only

Predictably, I do have a problem with that. Morse skill testing for voice
privileges is illogical and should be dumped. Moreover, it can be now,
since it has not been required by the ITU for the last six months.

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra,

OK

Techs
and Tech Pluses get free upgrade to General

Not OK in this scenario, given my comments above

'Phone image subbands for 80/40/15 widened slightly

Good. Some phone below 7100? No? Why not?

Old Novice subbands replaced by additional CW/data
and 'phone subbands on 80/40/15. Novices also get
privs on 6, 2, 222, and 440

See above

Novice power level set below that requiring RF exposure
evaluation

OK

Novice test to be 25 questions on "basics",

Not OK

General to be
derived from Tech and General, Extra pretty much as-is.

73 de Jim, N2EY

What do you actually think of this proposal yourself, Jim? You don't say
here.

73 de Alun, N3KIP
Old January 19th 04, 10:15 PM
Alun

"Tom Winston" wrote in
:

On 19 Jan 2004 10:08:20 -0800, N2EY wrote:

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra, ...

That's not an upgrade; that's a downgrade. Advanced class licensees
passed the Extra class written exam, and passed a 13 wpm code test.
Furthermore, most Advanced class licensees took the older Extra exam
-- an exam that's a lot tougher than the current Extra exam.

Possession of the Advanced class license proves that the holder met
higher standards than the current crop of Extras.

So thanks, but no thanks. When I want to downgrade, *I* will make
that decision.

Just go away, ARRL, and keep your grimy paws off my license.

Truly weird. As a 20wpm Extra I don't see you as having a higher licence
than me, oddly enough.
Old January 19th 04, 11:26 PM
N2EY

"Tom Winston" wrote in message ...
On 19 Jan 2004 10:08:20 -0800, N2EY wrote:

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra, ...

That's not an upgrade; that's a downgrade.

Incorrect!

Advanced class licensees
passed the Extra class written exam,

No, they did not. There have always been different written exams
for the two license classes. Until the 2000 restructuring, an Extra
required passing both the 50 question Advanced written *and* the 40
question Extra.

and passed a 13 wpm code test.

Only until 1990. After that time, code waivers were available.

Extra required 20 wpm in the same time frame.

Furthermore, most Advanced class licensees took the older Extra exam

again, incorrect!

-- an exam that's a lot tougher than the current Extra exam.

No argument there.

Old January 19th 04, 11:34 PM
N2EY

"Bert Craig" wrote in message . net...
"N2EY" wrote in message
m...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/19/1/?nc=1

3 classes of license: Novice, General, Extra

Ok, so far so good.

I'm against free upgrades.

5 wpm code test retained for Extra only

I personally would like to see existing Tech, Tech+, and Novice licensees
upgraded to the new Novice ticket. (Tech+ privies.)

It's not that simple.

The proposed Novice would have a lot more HF modes and spectrum than
current Novice/Tech+ - but a lot *less* VHF/UHF.

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra

Sounds reasonable.

I disagree. All it takes to go from Advanced to Extra is a single
written test. Been that way for almost 4 years.

, Techs
and Tech Pluses get free upgrade to General

Nope.

Same as above.

'Phone image subbands for 80/40/15 widened slightly

Depends on one's interpretation of "slightly," I suppose.

25 kHz or so.

Old Novice subbands replaced by additional CW/data
and 'phone subbands on 80/40/15. Novices also get
privs on 6, 2, 222, and 440

Ok.

Novice power level set below that requiring RF exposure
evaluation

Also reasonable.

Novice test to be 25 questions on "basics"

Surely, they jest?!

Not at all. The old Novice was only 20-25 questions, back in the
bad old days (before about 1972).

Of course all the old Novice allowed was 80, 40 and 15 CW, plus
145-147 MHz meter CW and AM. And the AM was eliminated about 1967. 75
watts max input, xtal control only.

, General to be
derived from Tech and General, Extra pretty much as-is.

Ok.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Thanks for the synopsis, Jim. This scenario certainly beats a blank.

Read the entire proposal on the website.

Some good ideas, some not so hot ones.

Better than the "21st Century" paper proposes, anyway.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old January 20th 04, 12:08 AM
JJ

Bert Craig wrote:

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra

Sounds reasonable.

Oh great, I get to be an Extra by default. I had rather keep my
Advanced, advanced even sounds more advanced than Extra does.

Old January 20th 04, 12:24 AM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(N2EY) "summarized" what is publicly referencible
and pretends to write "news:"

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/19/1/?nc=1

3 classes of license: Novice, General, Extra

Only the name of "Technician" changed to "Novice" in order to preserve
the lesser class (in the BoD's mind). Otherwise the present regulations
have only THREE classes of new licensees NOW.

5 wpm code test retained for Extra only

One small step for the BoD, not a giant leap for newbies.

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra, Techs
and Tech Pluses get free upgrade to General

ARRL needs membership revenue...they have to pander to just about
all of the lesser classes! :-)

'Phone image subbands for 80/40/15 widened slightly

Grudging acceptance of present-day practices. :-)

Old Novice subbands replaced by additional CW/data
and 'phone subbands on 80/40/15. Novices also get
privs on 6, 2, 222, and 440

Novice power level set below that requiring RF exposure
evaluation

Novice test to be 25 questions on "basics", General to be
derived from Tech and General, Extra pretty much as-is.

Okay, so the BoD is slowly, painstakingly "advancing" to the
present day. They ought to be about in the 1970s by now.

Hiram forbid that anyone EVER remove the code test requirement!

Such a thing is unheard of! Sacrilege to old T.O.M.!

Now is the time for all the League syncophants to chant and do
their mantra for the "forward-looking League doing its best for what
is best for U.S. amateur radio." They can do no wrong.

Gotta love it!

LHA / WMD
Old January 20th 04, 12:59 AM
Bill Sohl

"N2EY" wrote in message
m...
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/19/1/?nc=1

3 classes of license: Novice, General, Extra

Pretty similar to Hans's proposal on classes.

5 wpm code test retained for Extra only

And so many folks thought they'd push for a higher speed test.

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra, Techs
and Tech Pluses get free upgrade to General

Sounds like something I suggested a couple of weeks
ago that scared a few folks.

'Phone image subbands for 80/40/15 widened slightly

Old Novice subbands replaced by additional CW/data
and 'phone subbands on 80/40/15. Novices also get
privs on 6, 2, 222, and 440

Novice power level set below that requiring RF exposure
evaluation

Novice test to be 25 questions on "basics", General to be
derived from Tech and General, Extra pretty much as-is.

Should be interesting as to how this goes down.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old January 20th 04, 01:56 AM
William

"Tom Winston" wrote in message ...
On 19 Jan 2004 10:08:20 -0800, N2EY wrote:

Existing Advanceds get free upgrade to Extra, ...

That's not an upgrade; that's a downgrade. Advanced class licensees
passed the Extra class written exam, and passed a 13 wpm code test.
Furthermore, most Advanced class licensees took the older Extra exam
-- an exam that's a lot tougher than the current Extra exam.

Possession of the Advanced class license proves that the holder met
higher standards than the current crop of Extras.

So thanks, but no thanks. When I want to downgrade, *I* will make
that decision.

Just go away, ARRL, and keep your grimy paws off my license.

There's that stupid pecking order thing again.

Hey, a little studying and a code waiver and anyone could have been an Advanced.