Old January 31st 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Wide-Band Scanner Receivers -and- Wide-Band Active Antennas =Synergy & Utility

David wrote:

What cards? My 8200 MK3 B works fine out of the box.

Mainly the CTCSS/DCS card, which feature the Icom has built in.
I don't know what, if any, benefit this would be in normal listening.

There are five cards in total available, but only on can be used at a
time in the 8200. I believe the base station version of the radio lets
you use more.

http://www.aorusa.com/ar8200.html

Sounds like a very happy user:
http://www.ukmidlandscanner.co.uk/8200mk3.htm

The R20:
http://www.ukmidlandscanner.co.uk/r20rev.htm

mike
Old February 8th 08, 07:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 28, 12:22*am, RHF wrote:
On Jan 27, 11:30*pm, "sdgreen" wrote:
-
- Thanks RHF! *Excuse the top posting, but your information
- is utterly magnificent...kudos.
-
- My thought on the MFJ 1020C active pre-amp is that such
- is self contained, easy to pack, has the appropriate controls,
- comes with a vertical telescoping mast 50+ inches and looks
- like it would be easy to setup and use.
-
- Wires are nice, but messy on luggage and sometimes
- airport security get curious.
-
- So the question is does the MFJ 1020C do the job.
-
- =======================

SD GREEN,

Yes the MFJ-1020C could "Do The Job" as you have defined it.

You have an RF Gain Control and Attenuator built into the
Icom IC-R20 and a Gain Control built into the MFJ-1020C.

Active Antenna Signal Overload - Back-Off on them to reduce
and prevent any Signal Overload of the Radio.

Remember - That you have to Tune both the Radio and the
Active Antenna to the same Frequency to use them properly.

Wide-Band Scanner Receivers -and- Wide-Band Active Antennas
- = Synergy & Utility = -

TIP - With a Scanning Wideband Radio you may find a Wideband
Active Antenna the better 'choice' versus an Active Antenna that
you will be Required to Re-Tune with each Frequency change.

Two Wide-Band Active Antennas :

You may want to consider the MFJ-1022 Wideband Activehttp://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3109.html
Indoor Receiving Antenna : Coverage 300 kHz to 200 MHz
* Small Compact and Designed to be used Indoors
* "No" Tuning Required
* Adjust the Radio's RF Gain Control and Attenuator
to reduce and prevent Signal Overload

Another 'alternative' is the Kaito KA35 Active MW/SW Antennahttp://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/4835.htmlhttp://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ250194482431
* Small Compact and Designed to be used Indoors
* "No" Tuning Required
* Adjust the Radio's RF Gain Control and Attenuator
to reduce and prevent Signal Overload
+ Two Antenna Elements Coverage : 100 kHz to 30 MHz
+ + AM/MW Ferrite Rod {Directional} LW+MW+SW3MHz
+ + Shortwave Whip {Non-Directional} SW 3MHz~ 30 MHz

-ps- Telamon be sure to count this as another one of my
'clueless posts' with plenty of : cut, copy, and paste variety
*.
*.
again hope this helps - iane ~ RHF *{pomkia}
*.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
*.
Shortwave Radio Listener QSL Reports News & Info Grouphttp://groups.google..com/group/shortwave-listener-qsl-reports
Read & Post Your Shortwave Listener (SWL) Reception Reports
SWL-QSL-REPORTS =http://tinyurl.com/3awlyr
*.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING =http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9233
*.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennenhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
*|
*|
*|
/ \

Telamon,

This Message and Thread Needed both
Your Vast Knowledge and Great Expertise.

but alas you were once again 'mia' ~ RHF

-ps- that's 11 for me and 0 for you