Old August 27th 04, 10:27 PM
Sarcastikus

Default GMRS/FRS radios

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask about this, but with all of the
GMRS/FRS handhelds that can be bought virtually anywhere isn't the FCC
going to have a hell of a time with unlicensed people on the GMRS
frequencies? I think GMRS is going to end up being such a free-for-all
that the FCC will give up trying to license it, like they did with the 27
MHz CB service.

Old August 28th 04, 03:20 AM
M.H.

Sarcastikus wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask about this, but with all of the
GMRS/FRS handhelds that can be bought virtually anywhere isn't the FCC
going to have a hell of a time with unlicensed people on the GMRS
frequencies? I think GMRS is going to end up being such a free-for-all
that the FCC will give up trying to license it, like they did with the 27
MHz CB service.

Quite possible. Although all the hand helds I've seen have such crappy
range (they might say 5 miles but I've yet to get more than 1 mile from
them) that it might not be an issue with the motorola talkabout style
units. The gmrs equipment that is powerful enough to somewhat warrant
licensing is only bought by people who go a head and get the license.
I just filed for my gmrs license. I figured since I had just gotten the
amature license it'd be best to cover myself for the unlikely event that
the FCC ever heard me while using a gmrs handheld

http://www.khaaan.com/
Old August 30th 04, 02:40 AM
BRIAN T

me too if the people use GMRS the right way it ok like a the faIR ther
where people useing GMRS and frs