Old November 6th 04, 10:42 PM
Jennie

Default Passed

the technician's test today....Not sure of what type of handheld to buy?
Appreciate any help in selecting my first piece of equipment...

I want a handheld with an antenna, and be able to put up an antenna on the
roof of my car and in my attic...

Under 300 if possible.

What is the best Code training stuff out there?

Thanks

Old November 6th 04, 11:33 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Jennie" wrote in message
| the technician's test today....Not sure of what type of handheld to buy?
| Appreciate any help in selecting my first piece of equipment...
|
| I want a handheld with an antenna, and be able to put up an antenna on
the
| roof of my car and in my attic...
|
| Under 300 if possible.
|

| What is the best Code training stuff out there?
|
| Thanks

G4FON for the code - free for download. Google it and
you'll find it.

I *highly* recommend the Icom IC-T2H 2 meter handheld.
I love mine! Unless you live in a big metro area (If you do,
you will want 2 meters and 70 cm on your HT). I got my
HT for 90 bucks, and get consistent *excellent* audio and
signal reports, because it puts out a full 5 watts. Get some
NiMH batteries at Sam's Club (the 2000+ maH rated ones),
and a charger, and you'll have a LONG lasting battery setup
to go with it, all still on the cheap.

73,

Steve Lawrence
KAØPMD
Burnsville, Minnesota

"If a man wants his dreams to come true then he must wake up."
- Anonymous

---

Old November 6th 04, 11:59 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Jennie" wrote in message
| I think I like a dual band. I live around Atlanta, ga. 2 and 70..

Yes, that's definitely what I'd go for. Universal Radio, AES, and
Ham Radio Outlet (HRO) are good starting places for the purpose
of comparing.

Old November 7th 04, 12:06 AM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Congrads on passing the test Jennie

Be sure you want an HT instead of a mobile.
A mobile can be easily removed from the car and used as base station (with
an external power supply)

For $300 you can buy both an HT and a mobile and a power supply -- example
HT - ICOM IC-T2H and an ICOM 2100H Mobile

Suggest you go to a local Radio Store in your area -- look at and try out
the various HT's and mobiles and discuss them with the sales people.

Lots of HT Reviews are at URL:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/49

Lots of mobile reviews at URL:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/38

The best code practice program is the one that works for you.
Beware of advice that sez -- "this is the best one" as it might have been
for the person who recommended same but just doesn't click with you.

For Morse trainer freebees and demos see URL:
http://ac6v.com/morseprograms.htm

For how to learn the code (varies with the individual) see URL:
http://ac6v.com/morseaids.htm#Learn

Two things that almost all will recommend is:
"Study EVERY day for 20 minutes to a half hour"

AND

"Whatever method you use, try to *hear* the code directly as a letter. IOW,
don't try to translate the sound into dot-dash and translate that into A,
just hear the dot-dash and think A. Easier said than done, but when you
master it your receiving speed will increase dramatically."

The AVERAGE person needs about 30 hours of study and practice on the code to
hit 5 wpm.

Good Luck
--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

Old November 7th 04, 01:30 AM
Jennie

I noticed that some are 2 Meter/440 MHz

Are those two ranges for technician too?

Old November 7th 04, 02:01 AM
Howard

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 17:52:13 -0500, "Jennie" wrote:

I think I like a dual band. I live around Atlanta, ga. 2 and 70..

remainder of post snipped for brevity's sake

Jennie,
First off, congratulations!

You might want to see if there are many 220 MHz repeaters in your area
- if so I recommend the Kenwood TH-F6 as it has 2 meters, 220 and 440.
Not as 'bullet proof' regarding intermod as some dual band radio's
I've had but that is also due to it's wideband receive (100 KHz to 1.3
GHz).

As to dual-band radios I've had decent luck with a Yaesu FT-50, it has
been dropped on hard surfaces (not intentially) bounced around in a
backpack and even rained on and it still works. I've not used Icom
HT's but have an R2 scanner and R75 receiver and am pleased with their
performance as well. Each of the "Big 3" (Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu) have
their own scheme for operating controls - as well as champions &
detractors. If you can shop locally then do so as it will give you a
chance to play around with the various manufacturer's models and allow
you to decide which one 'feels best' in your hand - and don't forget
to ask to see the manual to figure out which one's operating scheme
and instructions are easiest to deal with.

My advice follow's Steve's regarding batteries - don't spend money on
an extra NiMH battery, check which ones take an "AA" pack and also
check the instructions for how much power is available on that pack.
For instance, the Yaesu FT-50 puts out 2 - 21/2 watts on teh "AA" pack
whereas the Kenwood TH-F6 only puts out 1/2 watt.

Again, congratulations & enjoy the hobby,
Howard

Old November 7th 04, 02:35 AM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Jennie -- from the ARRL site URL:
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg.../allocate.html

Techs have all of the following privileges:

6 Meters

All Amateurs except Novices:
50.0-50.1 MHz: CW Only
50.1-54.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data

2 Meters

All Amateurs except Novices:
144.0-144.1 MHz: CW Only
144.1-148.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data

1.25 Meters
The FCC has allocated 219-220 MHz to amateur use on a secondary basis. This
allocation is only for fixed digital message forwarding systems operated by
all licensees except Novices. Amateur operations must not cause interference
to, and must accept interference from, primary services in this and adjacent
bands. Amateur stations are limited to 50 W PEP output and 100 kHz
bandwidth. Automated Maritime Telecommunications Systems (AMTS) stations are
the primary occupants in this band. Amateur stations within 398 miles of an
AMTS station must notify the station in writing at least 30 days prior to
beginning operations. Amateur stations within 50 miles of an AMTS station
must get permission in writing from the AMTS station before beginning
operations. ARRL Headquarters maintains a database of AMTS stations. The FCC
requires that amateur operators provide written notification including the
station's geographic location to the ARRL for inclusion in a database at
least 30 days before beginning operations. See Section 97.303(e) of the FCC
Rules.

Novice (Novices are limited to 25 watts PEP output), Technician,
Technician Plus, General, Advanced, Amateur Extra classes:
222.00-225.00 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data
70 Centimeters

All Amateurs except Novices:
420.0-450.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data
33 Centimeters

All Amateurs except Novices:
902.0-928.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data
23 Centimeters

Novice class:
1270-1295 MHz: CW, phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data (maximum power, 5 watts
PEP)

All Amateurs except Novices:
1240-1300 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data
Higher Frequencies:

All modes and licensees (except Novices) are authorized on the following
bands [FCC Rules, Part 97.301(a)]:

2300-2310 MHz
2390-2450 MHz
3300-3500 MHz
5650-5925 MHz
10.0-10.5 GHz
24.0-24.25 GHz
47.0-47.2 GHz
75.5-81.0 GHz*
119.98-120.02 GHz
142-149 GHz
241-250 GHz
All above 300 GHz
2M that is 144 to 148 MHz is the mostly commonly used followed by 440 MHz
band (70cm)
In a nutshell -- all authorized frequencies from 50 MHz (6M) and up

--
The Anon Keyboard
I doubt, therefore I might be

Old November 7th 04, 02:41 AM
Radio Flyer

That bandplan is outdated. There is no longer a novice class, all novices
were upgraded to technicians. Techs have all priveledges above 50 MHz.

[...]

ons.SeeSection97.303oftheFCC

Old November 7th 04, 02:51 AM
dxAce

Radio Flyer wrote:

That bandplan is outdated. There is no longer a novice class, all novices
were upgraded to technicians. Techs have all priveledges above 50 MHz.

I'm not sure how all that works out though, as the FCC still lists the Novice
Class license, see:

http://www.arrl.org/fcc/stats.html

Data as of 5 November.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 7th 04, 02:58 AM
Radio Flyer

"dxAce" wrote in message
I'm not sure how all that works out though, as the FCC still lists the
Novice
Class license, see:

http://www.arrl.org/fcc/stats.html

Data as of 5 November.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

You are right. I had always assumed that novices became technicians. But
actually tech plusses before 1987 became generals. I found this
http://www.arrl.org/news/restructuring/faq.html about the restructuring.

I passed Shadow_998 Antenna 22 November 29th 04 12:22 AM
I passed my technician exam! I'll have a callsign on Tuesday. Daniel J. Morlan General 4 January 17th 04 10:10 AM
My response to Jim Wiley, KL7CC Brian Policy 3 October 24th 03 12:02 AM
Geoff Halligey has passed away. Stephen Newlyn Shortwave 2 August 10th 03 06:38 PM
?? QRZ ?? passed re-examination? William Mutch Shortwave 1 August 4th 03 01:37 PM