Old February 14th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Dial Cord Qick Fix

I haven't looked at my big old parallel drafting rule since the day I
bought it years and years ago.Come to think about it,I think I do
remember it has some cords that are around the pulleys or whatever.It is
either in my old shed in my back yard (full of junk) or in my den. (full
of junk) Next time I stumble upon it,I will take a real good look at
it.I doubt if I will ever use it,I wont sell it or trade it off,if my
sister or brother wants anything I have,it's theirs for free.A few years
ago,I bought a magnafying glass that has a round flourescent light
around it and it is mounted onto a floor stand that looks like one of
those old,old floor lamp stands,I think it dates back to the 1940's or
sometime in the 1950's.She wanted it for her sewing room,I told
her,here,it's yours now.I like to buy old things simply because I like
to collect old things.All kinds of old
things,gadgets,radios,tools,whatever.
I have been a junk collector all my life,junk is in my blood.
cuhulin

Old February 14th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D Peter Maus

Frank Dresser wrote:
"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
Actually, all wire, no cord. Tension spring on the wheel at the
tuning cap.

Works like a Champ.

One thing I'd be concerned with is that the wire is harder than the shaft,
and the shaft might get worn by the wire, especially with alot of tension
and especially at the end of the tuning cap's travel where a bit of slip is
desirable. That's why I figured my Grundig used a half cord - half wire
setup. The cord wraps around the shaft, where a little bit of slip and
stretch isn't a problem, and the wire holds the dial pointer, which will
always indicate correctly even if the cord stretches a bit.

Of course, I've never actually restrung a radio with wire, so I'm just
talking off the top of my head here. I suppose it might be wise to check
for metal flakes around the tuning shaft (s) every once in a while.

I'll keep an eye on it, if there are any untoward developments, I'll
let you know. So far, I've noticed no difference in the way the radio
handles with the wire dial cord.

Frank Dresser