Old December 8th 04, 10:31 PM
KA9S-3_Jeff

Default Wanted: Power Supply for TR-4C

Wanted - Cheap - for Drake TR-4C: broken AC-4 or AC-3, or home brewed power
supply, or modifiable power supply by other manufacturer, or interesting
power transformer.
--------
I want to power up a Drake TR-4C I picked up. It did not have a power
supply. The price an AC-4 power supply brings today is more that the
transceiver is worth. Are there more radios out there than power supplies?
(Kind of like there are more horses asses than horses). Are the high AC-4
prices a function of scarcity or what?

I've looked at the schematic of the AC-4 and decided that it's not rocket
science. I'm not putting together an "original" collection of Drake
equipment and I don't need the power supply to fit within a MS-4 speaker
(which I don't have and don't need). So - I think I have some economically
appealing options.

- I could repair a broken AC-4, AC-3 as long as the transformer is OK.

- Home brew power supplies do not scare me.

- It's possible power supplies for other rigs could be adapted to work with
Drake gear.

- I could build my own homebrew power supply. The critical component would
be the power transformer / transformers. (There are many power supply
designs that would work).

Here is what the power supply needs to do:

Input: 117 vac
Outputs: (12.6 vac @ 5.5A), (650 vdc @ 300mA average - 500 mA peak), (250
vdc @ 175 mA), (-45 to -65 vdc for bias)

If any of you have something to sell me that will get me there, please let
me know (with details).

Thanks Jeff - KA9S

Old December 9th 04, 12:57 AM
No Spam

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:31:24 UTC, "KA9S-3_Jeff"
wrote:

Wanted - Cheap - for Drake TR-4C: broken AC-4 or AC-3, or home brewed power
supply, or modifiable power supply by other manufacturer, or interesting
power transformer.
--------

Here is what the power supply needs to do:

Input: 117 vac
Outputs: (12.6 vac @ 5.5A), (650 vdc @ 300mA average - 500 mA peak), (250
vdc @ 175 mA), (-45 to -65 vdc for bias)

If any of you have something to sell me that will get me there, please let
me know (with details).

Thanks Jeff - KA9S

You could probably use a Heathkit HP-23 or one of the A/B/C
varients. The Heath's voltages are higher than what you spec.

HP-23's are about $50. There's almost always one or two on eBay.
I saw one go for $30 at a hamfest this spring.

de ah6gi/4

Old December 9th 04, 01:19 AM
Highland Ham

Here is what the power supply needs to do:

Input: 117 vac
Outputs: (12.6 vac @ 5.5A), (650 vdc @ 300mA average - 500 mA peak),

(250
vdc @ 175 mA), (-45 to -65 vdc for bias)

If any of you have something to sell me that will get me there, please let
me know (with details).

===========================
An 'all in one' transformer might be difficult to find ; however since it is
assumed the unit is in a separate enclosure ,you can implement the power
supply unit with up to 4 separate transformers which no doubt can be found
at various ham fleamarkets .
The biasvoltage can probably be obtained through a separate diode and zener
voltage
circuit ,using the transformer supplying 250V @175 mA ,which would enable
you to implement with a maximum of 3 transformers.
Good luck with your quest.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old December 9th 04, 03:15 AM
w9gb

"KA9S-3_Jeff" wrote in message
Wanted - Cheap - for Drake TR-4C: broken AC-4 or AC-3, or home brewed
power
supply, or modifiable power supply by other manufacturer, or interesting
power transformer.
--------
I want to power up a Drake TR-4C I picked up. It did not have a power
supply. The price an AC-4 power supply brings today is more that the
transceiver is worth. Are there more radios out there than power supplies?
(Kind of like there are more horses asses than horses). Are the high AC-4
prices a function of scarcity or what?

I always see AC-3 and AC-4 units on eBay weekly.. broken and otherwise.

Here are the repair web pages for the broken power units:

Troubleshooting
http://www.wb4hfn.com/DrakeArticles/...leshooting.htm

Capacitor Rebuild
http://www.wb4hfn.com/DrakeArticles/...Rebuilding.htm

w9gb

Old December 9th 04, 11:32 PM
Bob Miller

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 15:31:24 -0600, "KA9S-3_Jeff"
wrote:

[...]

Go to:

http://electronics.listings.ebay.com...custoverrideZ1

and do a search for Drake AC-4 Power Supply

There are 4 up for auction, all for less than $50 as of Thursday.

Bob
k5qwg