Old May 11th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

Default The Shortwave Antenna used determines the type of Matching Transformer

BT,

The Shortwave (SW) Antenna used determines the type
of Matching Transformer you will want to use with it.

The type of Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna that
you are using will help in determining the type of
Matching Transformer that you would wish to use :
Plus the Range of Frequencies that you wish to cover
with the SWL Antenna and Matching Transformer.

SINGLE (1) WIRE ANTENNAS :
For many forms of Longwire {Random Wire} Antennas
Horizontal, Inverted "L" or Sloper used for 500
kHz to 30 MHz a 9:1 Matching Transformer is often
recommended. These are single (1) Wire Antennas
that Require a Ground to complete the other half
of the Antenna-to-Ground System.

TWO (21) WIRE ANTENNAS :
For many forms of Dipole {type} Antennas : Dipole
Windom, Inverted "V" and other "Balanced" Antennas
being used for 500 kHz to 30 MHz a 4:1 Matching
Transformer is often recommended. These are Two (2)
Wire Antennas that do not require a Ground to complete
the other half of the Antenna-to-Ground System.

A SOURCE FOR THE "RIGHT" MATCHING TRANSFORMER :
QRP BALUNS = http://www.geocities.com/qrp_baluns/
The eBay Seller "RF Junkie" offers a variety of
Matching Transformers that are specifically designed
for a large number of different types of Antennas.
His Matching Transformers for the most part designed
for "QRP" [Low Power] Transmitting so they are built
more than 'good enough' for a "Receive Only" Shortwave
Antenna application.
http://www.geocities.com/qrp_baluns/product.html

RF Junkie
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrfjunkieQQhtZ-1

Erickson Engineering {RF Junkie} eBay Store
http://stores.ebay.com/ERICKSON-ENGINEERING

Here are a few Shortwave Listener (SWL) type Matching
Transformers that can be used with Random Wire type
Antennas [Single Wire with a Ground] a Coax Cable
feed-in-line and most Shortwave Radios and Receivers
that have an SO-239 Jack or a 1/8" Mono-Jack as their
External Antenna Input :

* Shortwave Antenna Longwire Transformer Balun
LMZ-50 = http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ9724368153
For RG8/RG58 50 Ohm Coax Cable with PL-259 Plug

* Shortwave Longwire Antenna Matcher
LMZ-75 = http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ9721309599
For RG6 75 Ohm Ohm Coax Cable with "F" Connectors

* Shortwave Longwire Antenna Transformer 9:1
SWLZ = http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ9724601737
For RG6 75 Ohm Ohm Coax Cable with "F" Connectors

"QB-Series" Antenna Baluns
http://www.geocities.com/qrp_baluns/QB-baluns.html

Matching Transformer (Balun / UnUn) Application Notes
http://www.geocities.com/qrp_baluns/app-notes.html
* How to connect wires to "QB Series" Baluns and Ununs?
* Weather-Proofing "QB Series" Baluns and Ununs
* SWLZ Application Setup for the Shortwave Listener (SWL)
* QB-9E/QB10E Application Setup for Longwire (SWL and QRP)
* QB-10I Application Setup for the Shortwave Listener (SWL)
* LMZ-75 Application Setup for Longwire (SWL)
* LMZ-50 Application Setup for Longwire (SWL and QRP)
* * Do you have RX Noise Problems?
[ See possible Sources here ]

RF Junkie Answers The Age Old Question :
"Which Balun do I need for my Antenna ?"
http://www.geocities.com/qrp_baluns/balun-choice.html
- - - Which Matching Transformer Do I Need ?

Frequently Asked Questions -About- Baluns / UnUns
http://www.geocities.com/qrp_baluns/faq.html
RF Junkie's Matching Transformer FAQs WebPage

ABOUT - RF Junkie {Erickson Engineering}
http://www.geocities.com/qrp_baluns/about.html
-aka- Jason Erickson [KG7RO]

Contact Information for Erickson Engineering
and RF Junkie's "QRP" Matching Transformers
http://www.geocities.com/qrp_baluns/contact.html

Antenna Information Links -by- RF Junkie
http://www.geocities.com/qrp_baluns/antennas.html
Links to Info about : Antenna Basics -
- The Dipole Antenna - Dipole Calculator
- Wire Antennas - Hard Core DX
- Rhombic Antenna - G5RV Antenna
- Flag / Pennant Antenna Info - K9AY Loop Antenna
- Wire Loop Antenna - Windom Antenna
- Beverage Antenna - Bandplans - QRP Links
- Shortwave Frequencies - Amateur HF Frequencies

MY OPINION : He may call Himself "RF Junkie" but his
QRP Baluns are No Junk - This is Good Stuff Maynard !

transforming useful information into practical knowledge - iane ~ RHF
..
Shortwave Listener Antennas = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
SWL Antenna Group = http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Old May 11th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Radio TexMex

David wrote:

On 11 May 2006 00:47:27 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

[...]

All antennas are dipoles.

Dude. Why do you run your mouth like that. Are you *absolutely* *positively*
sure that all antennas are dipoles? Tell me how my longwire antenna I use
is a dipole.

Thanks in advance!!!

- Matt
Old May 11th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen

Dude. Why do you run your mouth like that. Are you *absolutely* *positively*
sure that all antennas are dipoles? Tell me how my longwire antenna I
use
is a dipole.

Thanks in advance!!!

- Matt

I'm not even sure that David's comment, whether implicitly true or not,
is relevant. RHF is right - different antenna designs are best
optimized using different transformers, depending on whether the
antenna and line is balanced or unbalanced. It appears that RHF got
the right information out in his message - even if for the thousandth
time ;-).

Bruce Jensen

Old May 11th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article .com,
"bpnjensen" wrote:

Dude. Why do you run your mouth like that. Are you *absolutely* *positively*

sure that all antennas are dipoles? Tell me how my longwire antenna I
use
is a dipole.

Thanks in advance!!!

- Matt

I'm not even sure that David's comment, whether implicitly true or not,
is relevant. RHF is right - different antenna designs are best
optimized using different transformers, depending on whether the
antenna and line is balanced or unbalanced. It appears that RHF got
the right information out in his message - even if for the thousandth
time ;-).

In an active news group such as this posts roll off the server so
occasionally repeating information is not a bad idea. Some people will
not think to Google the news group in order to see older posts.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 12th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

BpnJ - Every Day I Beat The Drum ! ) ~ RHF

If you wish - I can Post the Political News HeadLines
with my three line comments from The Washington Post
NewMax, VOA, VOR, etc

Everyday on this NewsGroup that I do not have to post a
Political Rebutal to Balance the Rhetoric is a 'good day'
for me and all the people who come here just to read
something, anything about the Shortwave Radio Listening
Hobby - IMHO

Staying On-Message : The 1st x
10th x
100th x
1,000th x
10,000th x
100,000th x
1,000,000th x

oh am i repeating my self, Self. SELF ! ~ RHF

/ \
-------!-------

Old May 12th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 11 May 2006 18:20:29 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

BpnJ - Every Day I Beat The Drum ! ) ~ RHF

If you wish - I can Post the Political News HeadLines
with my three line comments from The Washington Post
NewMax, VOA, VOR, etc

Everyday on this NewsGroup that I do not have to post a
Political Rebutal to Balance the Rhetoric is a 'good day'
for me and all the people who come here just to read
something, anything about the Shortwave Radio Listening
Hobby - IMHO

Staying On-Message : The 1st x
10th x
100th x
1,000th x
10,000th x
100,000th x
1,000,000th x

oh am i repeating my self, Self. SELF ! ~ RHF

/ \
-------!-------

RHF,
Actually you do not "have to post a political rebutal" - you choose to
do so. Besides, if there is no rebutal then the post is not balanced
and that says something in and of itself. I know it's hard to not
refute things that are very contrary to your beliefs, however it might
serve to keep your blood pressure stable.

Later,
Howard
Old May 12th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

How...

Yes "I" Choose to Re-Butt and putt Putt. PUTT !
and my Blood Pressure goes way 'd o w n' ~ RHF
Old May 12th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Thu, 11 May 2006 10:49:12 -0500, Radio TexMex
wrote:

David wrote:

All antennas are dipoles.

Dude. Why do you run your mouth like that. Are you *absolutely* *positively*
sure that all antennas are dipoles? Tell me how my longwire antenna I use
is a dipole.

Thanks in advance!!!

- Matt

All antennas sense a difference of potential between energy in a field
and a mass not part of said field.

Old May 12th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

wrote:

David wrote:

All antennas are dipoles.

Dude. Why do you run your mouth like that. Are you *absolutely* *positively*
sure that all antennas are dipoles? Tell me how my longwire antenna I use
is a dipole.

Thanks in advance!!!

- Matt

All antennas sense a difference of potential between energy in a field
and a mass not part of said field.

on the other hand, not all dipoles are called dipoles; hence monopole.

bob
k5qwg

Old May 12th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

wrote:

David wrote:

All antennas are dipoles.

Dude. Why do you run your mouth like that. Are you *absolutely* *positively*
sure that all antennas are dipoles? Tell me how my longwire antenna I use
is a dipole.

Thanks in advance!!!

- Matt

All antennas sense a difference of potential between energy in a field
and a mass not part of said field.

on the other hand, not all dipoles are called dipoles; hence monopole.

bob
k5qwg

So what is an antenna that is split in the middle with half of it
grounded? What is an antenna that is balanced all the way into the
radio, like on the real input to an R-390A?

I think ''balanced'' and ''unbalanced'' and ''loop'' are the basic
kinds of antennas and that mono and di pole are sloppy terms.

Outside Antenna Rikk Shortwave 25 March 6th 06 07:53 PM
I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 11:12 PM
WHY - The simple Random Wire Antenna is better than the Dipole Antenna for the Shortwave Listener (SWL) RHF Shortwave 15 September 13th 05 08:28 AM
Imax ground plane question Vinnie S. CB 151 April 15th 05 05:21 AM
TV type Ferrite Cores / Ferrite Cores / Magnetic Longwire Baluns (MLBs) and more RHF Shortwave 0 January 9th 05 03:06 PM