Old August 29th 15, 05:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [W2LJ] Ionosphere? What ionosphere?

W2LJ's Blog - QRP - Do More With Less.

Ionosphere? What ionosphere?

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...medium=e mail

I went out to the car at lunchtime to try and get some QRP in.

No dice.

There were no signals on any of the bands that I was able to hear. And this
wasn't just a problem this afternoon, as this has been going on for a
while. Last night, I turned on the radio in order to get ready for the 20
Meter QRP Fox hunt. With 10 minutes to go before the hunt started, I
twiddled the dial between 14.050 and 14.070 MHz. I was not able to hear a
single, solitary CW signal. No QRPers, no FISTS, no SKCCers - no one. I
consider it a minor miracle that an hour into the hunt, I was able to
discern NK6A's signal coming out of California and work him to earn a pelt.

It seems that right after the Skeeter Hunt, we have spiraled into a period
of solar activity that's been wiping out the HF bands. Periods of favorable
conditions have been sporadic and far and few between. I sure hope that
with the coming of the Autumnal Equinox that conditions will improve.

13 Colonies Update - I got the Connecticut QSL card two days ago. I'm
waiting on the last card to complete the set - of course, it's New Jersey.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

Using the Virtual Ionosphere [email protected] Homebrew 4 September 10th 06 03:11 AM
Ionosphere Verstaldin Shortwave 4 February 16th 06 04:47 PM
RF and the ionosphere [email protected] Shortwave 6 August 5th 05 07:06 PM
Ionosphere charge Tom Bruhns Antenna 2 October 31st 03 01:08 AM