Old November 20th 03, 10:06 AM
Julian Vereker

Default Is it really hard? - VHF RX

Hello,

I'm trying to find some simple receiver (or at least a converter)
project for 440 or 144 MHz to build. I'm interested in CW mode. But
there's nothing.
Is it very hard to build something for 70 cm or there are another
reasons, that I can't find anything?

Old November 20th 03, 01:00 PM
G.Beat

"Julian Vereker" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I'm trying to find some simple receiver (or at least a converter)
project for 440 or 144 MHz to build. I'm interested in CW mode. But
there's nothing.
Is it very hard to build something for 70 cm or there are another
reasons, that I can't find anything?

Julian,

I do not know where you are looking.

IF you have an HF transceiver there are VHF transverters available from both
Ten-Tec and Elecraft

http://www.tentec.com/Amateur.htm

Elecraft will have a 440 transverter available in the near future
http://www.elecraft.com/XV/XV.htm

Hamtronics - VHF and UHF kits since 1962
Receive converter kits (less enclosure) are only $ 49 USD
http://www.hamtronics.com/

Greg
w9gb

Old November 20th 03, 02:54 PM
R J Carpenter

"G.Beat" wrote in message
"Julian Vereker" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I'm trying to find some simple receiver (or at least a converter)
project for 440 or 144 MHz to build. I'm interested in CW mode. But
there's nothing.
Is it very hard to build something for 70 cm or there are another
reasons, that I can't find anything?

Julian,

I do not know where you are looking.

IF you have an HF transceiver there are VHF transverters available from

both
Ten-Tec and Elecraft

http://www.tentec.com/Amateur.htm

Elecraft will have a 440 transverter available in the near future
http://www.elecraft.com/XV/XV.htm

Hamtronics - VHF and UHF kits since 1962
Receive converter kits (less enclosure) are only $ 49 USD
http://www.hamtronics.com/

Or, better, Down-East Microwave in New Jersey. They sell kits for 50 MHz
and up, up, up.

http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/

Reliable outfit, reliable gear. They've been at it for many years.

Old November 20th 03, 07:24 PM
Joe McElvenney

Julian,

No, it is not particularly difficult to build for 144/432 MHz.
All you need are good low-noise devices, short leads and a little
determination, which I'm sure you have plenty of. For starters,
why not have a look at the simple 144 to 30MHz converter on this
site -

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~ei9gq/vhf_conv.html

This should give you an idea of the style of construction
needed. The only component that you may have trouble with is the
overtone crystal but there are other ways of achieving the same
end.

73 de Joe, G3LLV

Old November 23rd 03, 09:25 AM
Julian Vereker

I do not know where you are looking.
Google of course, but it seems getting worse and worse...

IF you have an HF transceiver there are VHF transverters available from both
Ten-Tec and Elecraft

http://www.tentec.com/Amateur.htm

Elecraft will have a 440 transverter available in the near future
http://www.elecraft.com/XV/XV.htm

Hamtronics - VHF and UHF kits since 1962
Receive converter kits (less enclosure) are only $ 49 USD
http://www.hamtronics.com/

Fine, but notice, please from where I am writing ( .pl is for Poland).
The costs of shipping, a local tax and zoll payments will rise price
about 75%. That's first notice. The second one is I want to build it
myself. That's why I choose homebrewing group.

Old November 23rd 03, 09:30 AM
Julian Vereker

No, it is not particularly difficult to build for 144/432 MHz.
All you need are good low-noise devices, short leads and a little
determination, which I'm sure you have plenty of. For starters,
why not have a look at the simple 144 to 30MHz converter on this
site -

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~ei9gq/vhf_conv.html

Thanks for the link. Something lil' more complex ?

This should give you an idea of the style of construction
needed. The only component that you may have trouble with is the
overtone crystal but there are other ways of achieving the same
end.

We got good crystal producer here in Poland called Omig, BTW they are
IBM supplier I think I'll find something.