Old October 5th 15, 08:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Crank up tower question

I just bought a three section 60 ft crank up tower from a guy for 200.00. I plan on cranking this up to about 45 feet and hanging an Alpha Delta inverted V dipole, (80 through 6 meters) on it. The tower has a triangular hinge plate on the bottom which is connected to two of the tower posts with two bolts. This plate has three holes and it is supposed to bolt down to a concrete slab that you pour. The slab has three threaded rods ( that look like about 1/2 inch diameter) sticking up. I saw this at the guys house but we weren't going to try to take the slab. He said he had used about 5 bags of concrete but I'd feel better if i could see that in print...

To raise the tower you hinge the tower up (against your house I assume), although I understand that some of these are free standing without guy wires!!,(I don't know how that would be possible with my tower), and then insert the third bolt into the base. He told me that he then had this secured against the side of his house. I would do the same.

This tower has been sitting outside for a number of years, however the galvanized coating and cable is still good, and although the winch is pretty rusty the the gears and ratchet assembly still work. for safety purposes though I would really like to see the scoop on the winch, reversing mechanism and brake, and also the base.

I plan on lubricating it and installing this up against my house in the Spring, however I would really like to identify the manufacturer and perhaps get a manual for it. The problem is I can't find any clue on this thing at all as to who made it.

To see a representation of what this looks like please take a look at the LM354 on the following site. It looks very much like what I have, but I really don't Know for su

http://www.tashtowers.com/docs/LM354-01.pdf

If anyone has any experience with one of these type towers I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks very much, Lenny, KC1CPX
Old October 7th 15, 01:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 10/05/2015 02:44 PM, wrote:
[...]

I did a quick Google search and saw that model number listed as being
made by Tri-Ex with a list price of $1600 so I think you got a good deal.
Old October 22nd 15, 03:48 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo View Post
On 10/05/2015 02:44 PM, wrote:
[...]

Were you born stupid, or were you dropped on your head as a child.
The name of the manufacturer is plainly printed on the blueprint for the tower.

http://www.tashtowers.com/

5 - 80 lbs bags of cement is not enough to support the tower - if you are going to climb it, or if you are going to put it up - freestanding with any type of weight on top of it.

You don't need a crank up tower to put up an inverted V dipole antenna...

The Alpha Delta antenna you described is a poor performer - due to the fact that it uses traps and it only works in small portions of the band - for each band that it is rated for.

And it doesn't actually work on all the bands between 6 meters and 80 meters. Due to the fact that 60 and 30 and 15 meters is not harmonics of 80 meters! I wouldn't expect it to work on 12 meters either.

The antenna will need to be at least 10' away from any metallic object.

Might I suggest a better Off Center Fed antenna than the Alpha Delta?

http://www.hypowerantenna.com/produc...er-fed-antenna
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...

crank-down 60' tower Steve CB 6 February 1st 08 10:15 PM
WTB Crank up tower Jack Equipment 0 December 15th 04 08:56 PM
WTB Crank up tower Jack Equipment 0 December 15th 04 08:56 PM
WTB Crank up tower Jack Equipment 0 December 15th 04 08:56 PM
FS:TX-455 CRANK UP US Tower NA1A Swap 0 September 22nd 04 10:14 PM