Old November 22nd 15, 11:25 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Scratchy?

"Rambo" wrote in message
Correct..Servisol is the way to go. But if the track is worn or
damaged then replacement is the only long term solution.

But someone must have manufactured the track in the first place, so it
should not be beyond the bounds of possibility for us to attempt such.

Old November 23rd 15, 12:19 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 22:25:29 -0000, "gareth"
wrote:

"Rambo" wrote in message
.. .
Correct..Servisol is the way to go. But if the track is worn or
damaged then replacement is the only long term solution.

But someone must have manufactured the track in the first place, so it
should not be beyond the bounds of possibility for us to attempt such.

Well it's going to very difficult to find and if you do it'll be very
expensive to buy an OEM part.
Old November 23rd 15, 12:25 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 23:19:48 +0000, Rambo
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 22:25:29 -0000, "gareth"
wrote:

"Rambo" wrote in message
. ..
Correct..Servisol is the way to go. But if the track is worn or
damaged then replacement is the only long term solution.

But someone must have manufactured the track in the first place, so it
should not be beyond the bounds of possibility for us to attempt such.

Well it's going to very difficult to find and if you do it'll be very
expensive to buy an OEM part.

I will admit to owning one of these in the past...
http://foxtango.org/frg7700/FRoG-7700.htm
may be usefull.
Old November 23rd 15, 12:59 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Rambo" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 22:25:29 -0000, "gareth"
wrote:

"Rambo" wrote in message
. ..
Correct..Servisol is the way to go. But if the track is worn or
damaged then replacement is the only long term solution.

But someone must have manufactured the track in the first place, so it
should not be beyond the bounds of possibility for us to attempt such.

Well it's going to very difficult to find and if you do it'll be very
expensive to buy an OEM part.

No, I meant to try to manufacture such a part ourselves.

Old November 23rd 15, 01:00 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

"Rambo" wrote in message
Correct..Servisol is the way to go. But if the track is worn or
damaged then replacement is the only long term solution.

But someone must have manufactured the track in the first place, so it
should not be beyond the bounds of possibility for us to attempt such.

Well it's going to very difficult to find and if you do it'll be very
expensive to buy an OEM part.

I will admit to owning one of these in the past...
http://foxtango.org/frg7700/FRoG-7700.htm
may be usefull.

I have the maintenance manual for it plus the ATU and the 2m converter.

Old November 23rd 15, 08:11 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 22/11/2015 20:41, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Jerry Stuckle
writes
On 11/22/2015 1:45 PM, Michael Black wrote:
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015, gareth wrote:

On the basis that someone must manufacture the things in the first
place,
has anyone much experience of disassembling volume controls and
the like to deal with scratchiness, for AIUI, injecting WD40 although
seeming
to provide an interim solution (sic) only stores up problems for the
future.

WD40 is not a good choice, though some may have used it in emergencies.

IT depends on the potentiometer. A lot of the old ones could be pried
open, little tabs at the front. But there are also fancier ones that
are sealed up in plastic casing, I'm not sure if those can be opened,
though hopefully some of the dirt problem is fixed. Maybe drilling a
tiny hole (like for component leads on a circuit board) and then
dripping some cleaner in would work?

Michael

I remember some 40+ years ago when I part-timed for a CB shop. A guy
brought in a radio with a broken squelch control. His son tried to fix
it with WD-40 or something similar.

Of course, it didn't work (taking the control apart, the wiper was
broken).

WD40's good - but not good enough to mend broken wipers!

Charged him $15 for the repair (remember this was a long time
ago!) and $25 to clean up the oil all over the case.

I doubt his son tried that one again!

On the occasions when I've used WD40 on pots, fan bearings etc, it
hasn't caused any subsequent problems. But, of course, you must use it
vary sparingly.

me too I also ... +1

--
Man at Oxfam
All things DIGITAL do not work
Old November 23rd 15, 08:13 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 22/11/2015 20:41, Ian Jackson wrote:

On the occasions when I've used WD40 on pots, fan bearings etc, it
hasn't caused any subsequent problems. But, of course, you must use it
vary sparingly.

also good for squeaky fan belts in cars...increases their life .... .....

Old November 23rd 15, 08:26 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 22/11/2015 22:12, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 11/22/2015 4:05 PM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Ian Jackson
escribió:

On the occasions when I've used WD40 on pots, fan bearings etc, it
hasn't caused any subsequent problems.

"proper" contact cleaner works better and doesn't pick up contaminants
like WD40 does.

But, of course, you must use it
vary sparingly.

Indeed, and at the force it comes out of the can, that can be tricky.
Spraying it into a small snootiness and using the tip of a screwdriver
to transfer it works. But for pots, switches, etc., it's still better
to use contact cleaner made for the job.

Exactly. I would never use WD40 on an electrical/electronic device.

I would and do all the time ......

Old November 23rd 15, 02:19 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

escribió:

On the occasions when I've used WD40 on pots, fan bearings etc, it
hasn't caused any subsequent problems.

"proper" contact cleaner works better and doesn't pick up contaminants
like WD40 does.

But, of course, you must use it
vary sparingly.

Indeed, and at the force it comes out of the can, that can be tricky.
Spraying it into a small snootiness and using the tip of a screwdriver
to transfer it works. But for pots, switches, etc., it's still better
to use contact cleaner made for the job.

Exactly. I would never use WD40 on an electrical/electronic device.

I would and do all the time ......

It figures YOU would.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old November 23rd 15, 02:23 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

escribió:

On the occasions when I've used WD40 on pots, fan bearings etc, it
hasn't caused any subsequent problems.

"proper" contact cleaner works better and doesn't pick up contaminants
like WD40 does.

But, of course, you must use it
vary sparingly.

Indeed, and at the force it comes out of the can, that can be tricky.
Spraying it into a small snootiness and using the tip of a screwdriver
to transfer it works. But for pots, switches, etc., it's still better
to use contact cleaner made for the job.

Exactly. I would never use WD40 on an electrical/electronic device.

I would and do all the time ......

It figures YOU would.

yes what ever works well ... ignore the "experts" .....