Old November 27th 15, 10:37 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Just musing

As some know, I've had a pipe dream for over 50 years that someday
I'd produce a world beater RX but from older technology (and some
have responded in an abusive manner thereto, going against the gentlemanly
tradition of amateur radio, shame on them :-( )

I've spoken in the past about how much I both admire and enjoy the haptic
and visual interface of the old Eddystone valve RXs, with the
flywheel-loaded
tuning knob and the slide-rule dial, but nowadays it would be senseless not
to take advantage of the frequency range, stability and deltas of the si570
magic chip oscillators.

So, until techology changes the goalposts once again, (and the project
goes with me to my grave!), what I now envisage, is an si570
controlled by a microprocessor, with a flywheel-loaded knob to drive it, but
with the slide-rule dial still there, but driven by a stepper motor to match
the tuning
of the si570, and a further stepper motor to drive the pre-selector making
use
of the 4-gang tuning condenser waiting in the wings, that some kind person
anonymously donated to me.

Thoughts anyone?

Old November 27th 15, 10:48 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote:
[...]

***Project Shun Notice***
Gareth Alun Evans G4SDW has been placed under a global shunning order by
Project Shun for his continual, deranged trolling.
Please help us make Usenet better by not responding to his malicious and
lunatic postings.
With thanks, Team Project Shun.
***end***

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old November 28th 15, 10:01 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

Also, as the evenings draw in, and the traditional time of year for
homebrewing
comes round again, what homebrewing projects do others have in mind?

Although it becomes increasingly difficult to deal with miniaturised
components
(my Henley Solon soldering iron was made for valve pins; valve pins that are
ten
times the size of SMD components :-( ) there is great scope for the
self-training
and associated projects to move in the direction of software development
although
it has to be regretted that for most even that has become another avenue
for off-the-shelf purchases.

Old November 28th 15, 10:02 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

it has to be regretted that for most even that has become another avenue
for off-the-shelf purchases.

one must do what one is best at ...

Old November 28th 15, 10:08 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Stephen Thomas Cole" wrote in message

REPORTED TO ISP FOR SPAMMING