Old May 2nd 05, 06:17 AM
homepc

Default Grundig FR200 LED lightbulb

I just purchased a Grundig FR200G radio, but it came this a regular type
filament bulb. I have seen the Eton Corp. site advertising a FR200 model
radio equipped with a LED lightbulb. Has anyone got the model with the LED
lightbulb?

I'm just wondering if the LED bulb is interchangeable with the filament
bulb. I didn't see the LED bulb available on the Eton Corp. FR200 parts
list.

Old May 2nd 05, 03:34 PM
John S.

Call Eton and ask them...it is a new model.

Old May 2nd 05, 04:47 PM

Yes. While it isn't as bright as a incandescent, it will run
much longer on a single cranking charge. Are you sure it
is a filament bulb and not a LED?

My FR200G has a set of 2/3AA NiMH that are charged
by the hand crank. It will also take 3?AA cells. and accept
+4.5V into an external power port.

The little LED is clear and looks like a "grain of wheat" tiny
bulb. I will check tonight and post if there is any clear give
away that it is an LED.

If yours is a filament bulb, you can't just replace it with an LED.
At the least it will need a seris resistor. Too bad the FR200 doesn't
come with a diagram.

Terry

Old May 3rd 05, 08:27 PM
homepc

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes. While it isn't as bright as a incandescent, it will run
much longer on a single cranking charge. Are you sure it
is a filament bulb and not a LED?

Yes, it has a filament bulb. I'm just wondering if the filament bulb is
interchangable with the LED replacement bulb. I sent an email to Eton, but
they didn't answer yet.

Old May 4th 05, 06:22 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
homepc wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Yes. While it isn't as bright as a incandescent, it will run
much longer on a single cranking charge. Are you sure it
is a filament bulb and not a LED?

Yes, it has a filament bulb. I'm just wondering if the filament bulb is
interchangable with the LED replacement bulb. I sent an email to Eton, but
they didn't answer yet.

My FR200G has a set of 2/3AA NiMH that are charged
by the hand crank. It will also take 3?AA cells. and accept
+4.5V into an external power port.

The little LED is clear and looks like a "grain of wheat" tiny
bulb. I will check tonight and post if there is any clear give
away that it is an LED.

If yours is a filament bulb, you can't just replace it with an LED.
At the least it will need a seris resistor. Too bad the FR200 doesn't
come with a diagram.

There's some sort of regulator circuitry, as I measured 2.5 volts
across the lamp in mine. Neither battery was at that voltage.

Somebody here in the newsgroup posted about replacing the lamp
with an LED several months ago.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old May 5th 05, 06:53 PM
Al Patrick

Mark Zenier wrote:

There's some sort of regulator circuitry, as I measured 2.5 volts
across the lamp in mine. Neither battery was at that voltage.

Did you consider that there might be TWO rechargeables in series? That
would total about 2.4V if they are 1.2 each as most are. I don't know
the voltage the FR200 operates on.
Old May 5th 05, 07:16 PM

o quote from my earlier post:
"
"My FR200G has a set of 2/3AA NiMH that are charged
by the hand crank. It will also take 3?AA cells. and accept
+4.5V into an external power port. "

They are wired in seris for 1.2X3=3.6V, or some people
spec NiMH at 1.25 so 1.25X3=3.75V.

I built an array of PV (solar cells) from dead yard night lights
that will easily power the FR200G wiht the cells in moderately
bright daylght. It willeven powr my 6V DX398.

I placed a coil around the radio with only the LED on and my scope
shows a nasty pulsing waveform, so I woud speculate the LED is
driven by a PWM. Much more efficent then a droppping resistor.

Terry

The Eton E1 XM Radio -=V=- Grundig Satellite 800 M [ Plus Some History ] RHF Shortwave 10 January 6th 05 05:56 AM
GE Superadios for Dummies [ GE Super Radios I - II - III ] RHF Shortwave 9 March 22nd 04 10:37 AM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 01:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 01:23 PM
Grundig Satellit 900 -=V=- Eton E1 XM Radio RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 01:14 PM