Old January 11th 05, 04:56 PM
Airy R.Bean

I say, I say, I say! Did you hear the one about the ground plane
and the policeman's dog?

Perhaps not.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does a ground plane need a choke?

Old January 11th 05, 04:58 PM

Default DOes a ground plane need a choke?

Does a ground plane need a choke? What about being grounded to the mast?

Old January 11th 05, 07:22 PM

No and no. But in other cases, it could be yes and yes.
This should keep you good and confused for a while...:/ MK

Old January 11th 05, 07:23 PM
Airy R.Bean

I cleaned and ground my plane after it struck a nail and
was also choked with sawdust.

Old January 11th 05, 07:38 PM
Lou W

wrote in message
oups.com...
No and no. But in other cases, it could be yes and yes.
This should keep you good and confused for a while...:/ MK

And may I suggest that Stryped pick up a copy of

ARRL antenna handbook
ARRL novice antenna notebook
ARRL "hints and kinks for the radio amateur"
VHF UHF manual by Jessop

KE6LZS

Lou

Old January 12th 05, 03:40 PM
Zombie Wolf

A "ground plane" antenna is designed to 'fool" the antenna into thinking the
horizontal radials are actually the surface of the earth. This term actually
has nothing to do with grounding the antenna. However, the antenna will work
better if the mast of it is grounded, since this gives the radials an actual
earth ground reference electrically, and it therefore will work more closely
to it's design specs.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Does a ground plane need a choke? What about being grounded to the mast?

Old January 12th 05, 04:07 PM
Cecil Moore

Zombie Wolf wrote:
A "ground plane" antenna is designed to 'fool" the antenna into thinking the
horizontal radials are actually the surface of the earth. This term actually
has nothing to do with grounding the antenna. However, the antenna will work
better if the mast of it is grounded, since this gives the radials an actual
earth ground reference electrically, and it therefore will work more closely
to it's design specs.

Why would RF currents flowing in the mast make the
antenna work better? Wouldn't that be about the
same as common-mode transmission line currents?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old January 12th 05, 06:25 PM
Fractenna

A ground plane or a tuned counterpoise does not. A rule of thumb is that if the
conventional aperture is 1/2 wave across or more, you won't need the choke.
Smaller and you will.

73,
Chip N1IR