Old February 25th 05, 04:17 AM
gwhite

Richard Clark wrote:

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:08:20 GMT, gwhite wrote:

RF transmitters are not ....

Sorry OM,

This was all nonsense.

Nice articulation. I don't know who OM is, but RF transmitter power amps are
not "impedance matched." Neither are audio power amps for that matter.
Old February 25th 05, 04:58 AM
Ken Smith

In article , gwhite wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:08:20 GMT, gwhite wrote:

RF transmitters are not ....

Sorry OM,

This was all nonsense.

Nice articulation. I don't know who OM is, but RF transmitter power amps are
not "impedance matched." Neither are audio power amps for that matter.

"OM" is an amateur radio term. It is short for "Old Man". It is a
respectful term for all other males that is quick to transmit via Morse
code. Richard Clark appears to be an amateur radio operator or the like.

RF transmitter power amps are certainly "impedance matched" to the
intended load. Take a look in the ARRL "The radio amateur's handbook".
If you have the 1944 addition, you will need to start reading at page 96
in the lower right column. If you don't have that, try Motorola's AN-721.

As for audio amp, you are 1 for 3 my friend.

forging knowledge

Old February 25th 05, 06:26 AM
Richard Clark

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 03:17:12 GMT, gwhite wrote:

RF transmitter power amps are
not "impedance matched." Neither are audio power amps for that matter.

Hi OM,

You seem to be shy of facts and long on claims. Got any experience at
the bench, or is this all arm-chair philosophy?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 25th 05, 03:16 PM
J. Mc Laughlin

Dear gwhite [no call, no location]:
Notwithstanding the clear limitations on making conclusions about what
happens inside of a circuit that has been modeled using Thevenin's theorem,
it is part of Religion that the least important theorem in circuit theory is
applicable.
Debates about Faith are a waste of energy. Avoid the tar-baby.

73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

"gwhite"

Old February 25th 05, 04:24 PM
Cecil Moore

Ken Smith wrote:
RF transmitter power amps are certainly "impedance matched" to the
intended load. Take a look in the ARRL "The radio amateur's handbook".
If you have the 1944 addition, you will need to start reading at page 96
in the lower right column. If you don't have that, try Motorola's AN-721.

A CMOS Class-E amp is in full saturation (0.5v at 2a)
for 10% of a cycle and off (12v at 0a) for the other
90% of a cycle. The tank circuit changes the digital
energy to analog energy by filtering out everything
except the fundamental frequency component. How
in the world does one determine the steady-state
impedance of the CMOS source? Isn't the best one
can do with a digital switch is to keep it within
specified parameters? The CMOS device dissipates 2
watts for 10% of the time - therefore 0.2 watts
steady-state.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 25th 05, 04:34 PM
Cecil Moore

Cecil Moore wrote:
The CMOS device dissipates 2
watts for 10% of the time - therefore 0.2 watts
steady-state.

Sorry, should have been: The CMOS device dissipates
one watt for 10% of the time - therefore 0.1 watts.

Old February 25th 05, 04:47 PM
Cecil Moore

Ken Smith wrote:
RF transmitter power amps are certainly "impedance matched" to the
intended load. Take a look in the ARRL "The radio amateur's handbook".
If you have the 1944 addition, you will need to start reading at page 96
in the lower right column. If you don't have that, try Motorola's AN-721.

It appears that I may have canceled an earlier posting
by accident so will repeat it.

A certain Class-E CMOS amp is in full saturation for
10% of a cycle, 0.5v at 2a. For the rest of the time
it is off. The supply voltage is 12v. What is the
steady-state impedance of the source at the fundamental
frequency?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 25th 05, 05:42 PM
Jim Thompson

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:47:16 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Ken Smith wrote:
RF transmitter power amps are certainly "impedance matched" to the
intended load. Take a look in the ARRL "The radio amateur's handbook".
If you have the 1944 addition, you will need to start reading at page 96
in the lower right column. If you don't have that, try Motorola's AN-721.

It appears that I may have canceled an earlier posting
by accident so will repeat it.

A certain Class-E CMOS amp is in full saturation for
10% of a cycle, 0.5v at 2a. For the rest of the time
it is off. The supply voltage is 12v. What is the
steady-state impedance of the source at the fundamental
frequency?

Now, now, Cecil! Don't sully the thread with facts !-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Old February 25th 05, 11:59 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"gwhite" wrote in message
Richard Clark wrote:

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:08:20 GMT, gwhite wrote:

RF transmitters are not ....

Sorry OM,

This was all nonsense.

Nice articulation. I don't know who OM is, but RF transmitter power amps
are
not "impedance matched." Neither are audio power amps for that matter.

My stereo amp has a spec on output impedance. As I recall, it was around
0.16 Ohms. Intended load is 4 - 16 Ohms.

Tam

Old February 26th 05, 12:56 AM
gwhite

Ken Smith wrote:

RF transmitter power amps are certainly "impedance matched" to the
intended load.

I'm sorry, but they are not. Nor are any power amps that I know of. Efficiency
(and thus necessarily output swing) is what matters for power amps. To maximize
swing requires load line matching, not impedance matching.

If you want to study RF PA's I suppose Cripps is one of the best I know of for a
modern text:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/0890069891/