Old February 25th 15, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default lightning

rickman wrote:
On 2/24/2015 6:07 PM, rickman wrote:
On 2/20/2015 5:19 PM, wrote:
Kurt Stocklmeir wrote:
I would like to know how much am and fm radio waves are made by
lightning

has any person tried this - when lightning is around use their
radio to find how many watts of am and fm radio waves are made by
lighning

thank you for any answers

Kurt Stocklmeir
--
--- Posted from
http://lu7abf.org.ar/news

Very little FM, but as the EMF generated by lightning ranges from near
DC to gamma rays, you likely need to be a bit more specific.

Gamma rays...? Really?

I guess I should have read first. They speculate that electrons
traveling at near light speeds encounter nuclei and release their energy
as gamma ray photons. Very interesting. Seems this was discovered
relatively recently (~20 years ago).

It was verified about 20 years ago but the theory that lightning can
product high energy radiation, e.g. X-rays, gamma rays, dates to the 1920's.

Even so, the gamma rays are not a direct part of the radiation of the
lightning bolt, but rather are a result of the large EM field and are
relatively uncommon compared to lightning in general.

Depends on how you define "direct part". Defined narrowly enough, very
little of what a lightning bolt produces is a direct part.

It has been well known for a long time that if you put enough current
and/or heat through matter, and air is matter, that atoms start coming
apart and all sorts of things get let loose.

--
Jim Pennino
Old February 25th 15, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 2/20/2015 5:19 PM, wrote:
Kurt Stocklmeir wrote:
[...]

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/...rm-gamma-rays/

"Remarkably, we have found that any thunderstorm can produce gamma rays,
even those that appear to be so weak a meteorologist wouldn't look twice
at them," said Themis Chronis, who led the research at the University of
Alabama in Huntsville (UAH)

--
Jim Pennino

World Lightning Map & 5-Year US Lightning History Map dave Shortwave 5 July 15th 11 04:27 PM
Getting hit by lightning Kevin Garrett Shortwave 0 August 26th 07 02:53 PM
About lightning etc... Jan Panteltje CB 27 October 15th 05 12:03 AM
Lightning Man! Len Over 21 Policy 2 October 28th 03 04:41 AM
Lightning? IN/IL Ron Hardin Shortwave 2 July 15th 03 09:04 PM