Old July 11th 03, 06:08 AM
GS

Default TA-33 Beam question

Hello all,

Funny how things work. I have been trying to sell my Mosley
TA-33 beam and AR-33 CDE rotator. I bought them in 97
fully intending to put them up, but never got to it. Been sitting
in the backyard since then, on the roof of my shed, disassembled.
The rotator of course was in the house.

But after a few days of no local interest in it, I think I've decided
I want to keep it! I got it all out on the front lawn today, and
layed out all the pieces to match the assembly instructions,
and wow! It looked really cool and now I think I want to keep
it - I've never had a beam, so now I'm thinking I'd like to put it
up and see what it's like to work 20 with a directional antenna.

But all I have is the assembly part of the manual - how difficult
is it to tune? Can I prop it on a ladder on my lawn and tune
it 'on earth' using my MFJ antenna tuning meter?

And since I don't plan to install a tower on this particular whim,
can I get away with putting it on a short tripod bolted to the
roof on the second floor? Or is that a no-no both for structural
reasons as well as proximity to the composition shingles?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Dave WB7AWK

Old July 11th 03, 06:33 AM
'Doc

Dave,
Rather than setting the beam on a ladder to try to
tune it, stand it up so that it's pointed straight up.
The step-ladder thing won't get it even close.
As for using a tripode on your roof, it just depends
on how your house is built. Is it in good structural
shape? Built strong enugh to take the weight and other
stresses that will be present? Beats me! You'll have
to answer that.
'Doc

PS - If you decide to sell, I'll give you $20, you pay
shipping. After all, it's at least 7 years old. All
the electrons have leaked out of it by now...
Old July 12th 03, 01:07 AM
Dan/W4NTI

No tuning required on the TA-33. If your into phone use the holes on each
element that are for phone (shorter ones). For mainly low end use the
longer holes spots.

Make sure the strap goes from the driven element to the cross piece support
for the driven element. Basically just follow the instructions. Make sure
the spacing is correct and go for it.

Dan/W4NTI

news.com...

Old July 26th 03, 04:09 PM
Eskay

'Doc wrote:
Dave,
Rather than setting the beam on a ladder to try to
tune it, stand it up so that it's pointed straight up.
The step-ladder thing won't get it even close.
As for using a tripode on your roof, it just depends
on how your house is built. Is it in good structural
shape? Built strong enugh to take the weight and other
stresses that will be present? Beats me! You'll have
to answer that.
'Doc

PS - If you decide to sell, I'll give you $20, you pay
shipping. After all, it's at least 7 years old. All
the electrons have leaked out of it by now...

Doc you're all heart..
Eskay...