Old March 5th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rikk

Default Outside Antenna

Hi
I am wondering if I have my longwire set correctly, maybe you could advise
please.
At the moment I have a sloping long-wire of about 50 foot, going from the
top of a mast on my house about 35 foot tall to the top of a washing line
post about 12 foot tall. I have connected the lonwire to my radio by means
of CB-coax, what I have done is to attach the centre core of the coax to the
longwire and I have cut the outer sheath on the coax near to the ground and
connected an earhtwire that is soldered to a cold water main supply pipe as
an earth.
Only the centre wire on the coax is connected to the actual longwire.

Is there a way I could do better.

I am thinking about getting an active antenna, the Sony AN-1

Would this work better for me or is there a better alternative available.
I am running an Icom R72
thanks
Rikk

Old March 5th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 13:25:52 GMT, "Rikk"
wrote:

[...]

You're losing at least half your signal. These match the wire to the
cable.

http://www.geocities.com/qrp_baluns/LM.html

Old March 5th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Rikk wrote:
[...]

This looks like a good design.

An AN-LP1 wil not do much compared to your current rig.

What are the RF conditions like ; is it a " radio Quiet / Electronics
Quiet"rural area
or are ou in the midst of an urban area..

Old March 5th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Unrevealed Source

You'll see a huge improvement if you using a matching transformer between
the long wire and the coax. Also try to keep that matching transformer as
far from the house as possible.

Old March 5th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rikk

Hi
I live in a rural area. nearest city is 6 miles
thanks
Rikk

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old March 5th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rikk

wrote:

[...]

Hi David
I visited the website you mentioned. and think the LMZ-50 would be best for
me.
How exactly does this work please, do I simply connect the longwire to the
balun, and the run coax from balun to radio via cb coax.
thanks
Rikk

Old March 5th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Verstaldin

That sounds like a good rig, but it is going to be more efficient at lower
frequencies. You might rig up another one about 1/4 that length and use it
for higher frequencies.

50 feet=50x3.28=164 meters
300/164=1.8 Mhz which is in medium wave band

12 feet=41 meters
300/42=7.31

6 feet=19.68 meters
300/19.68=15.24 Mhz

While it isn't necessary to have an exact match, down to the millimeter,
getting the length nearly correct is important, because of the signal
strength losses mentioned in the previous post. This is why a longwire is
very useful for very low frequencies. At higher frequencies you get more
noise than signal.

If you try to use a high power transmitter with an antenna badly matched for
the band on which you are transmitting, most of your energy will simply
comes crashing back at your trasmitter and burn up your circuitry s.

Some lucky individuals intersted in very low frequency phenomena have the
space to run wires miles in length, and need special arrangements to
accommodate the incredible voltages generated. Many very strange natural
signals lurk on frequencies that would be voice frequencies if they were
sound, and are very strange indeed.
http://www.auroralchorus.com/wr3gde.htm
He has some interesting recordings at another link you can find on that
site. HTH V

HTH V.

All life all holiness come from you O Lord

"Rikk" wrote in message
Hi
I live in a rural area. nearest city is 6 miles
thanks
Rikk

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old March 5th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 16:11:09 GMT, "Rikk"
wrote:

Hi David
I visited the website you mentioned. and think the LMZ-50 would be best for
me.
How exactly does this work please, do I simply connect the longwire to the
balun, and the run coax from balun to radio via cb coax.
thanks
Rikk

You can use plain old RG-6 Cable TV coax if you like. You use a 75
Ohm matcher at the antenna and the appropriate mechanical adapter at
the receiver. If you have a portable, use a flexible adapter to keep
strain off the little plug.

Old March 5th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Rikk

"Rikk" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Guys
Thanks all very much for your help, I appreciate your comments, I have opted
to order a balun from a supplier mention on this thread and see how it goes
from there.
I shall also try a few of your other suggestions as they are really
interesting in therory.
As you can probably see, I am relativly new to sw and until now have been
using the SW77 on it's telescopic antenna, but time for me to move forward a
bit, so I will see what I can do with the R72
thanks again
Rikk
United Kingdom

Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 03:03 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 07:03 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 06:26 AM
No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 07:18 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM