Old July 29th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Harris RF-2601 auto remote ATU

I have the chance to buy a RF-2601 new in its boxes. Can anyone advise me if
an RF-2601 and its control unit are a stand alone installation? The data
sheet advises it is designed to operate with Harris transmitter. Do they
come with an instruction manual? Is further info available? Do you need to
pressurise with nitrogen to achieve full specs of 1KW average power?

Old July 29th 06, 09:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bob VK4BYX wrote:
I have the chance to buy a RF-2601 new in its boxes. Can anyone advise me if
an RF-2601 and its control unit are a stand alone installation? The data
sheet advises it is designed to operate with Harris transmitter. Do they
come with an instruction manual? Is further info available? Do you need to
pressurise with nitrogen to achieve full specs of 1KW average power?

Its Still a supported item by Harris. You can buy all the manuals from
them. This coupler is used just about on every Australian and American
warships

Theres plenty of these tuners on the surplus market.

Ontario Surplus sells them and have all the details on them, they dont
help customers who dont BUY Harris Stuff from them.

Columbia Electronics may also have manuals and information.

Murphys surplus in California sells this item.

You dont need the "GAS" to obtain the kilowatt rating, that tuner is
full of good "stuff" This tuner was mainly designed to be used with a
35ft on a ship. It can run a long wire with some limitations. It
probably can take more than a kilowatt, however it depends what kind of
antenna you have.

I would buy it, and try and complete the complete Harris lineup. This
stuff is great, the quality is overwhelming.

Good Luck

Pat
Old July 29th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bob VK4BYX wrote:
I have the chance to buy a RF-2601 new in its boxes. Can anyone advise me if
an RF-2601 and its control unit are a stand alone installation? The data
sheet advises it is designed to operate with Harris transmitter. Do they
come with an instruction manual? Is further info available? Do you need to
pressurise with nitrogen to achieve full specs of 1KW average power?

Here's a quote from the manual:

"The fan and case form a heat exchanger which is used to dissipate the
heat produced by inductor 1A2L1 (heat producing element). The fan
circulates the nitrogen atmosphere over and through the inductor, and
then through the air duct between the bottom of the case and the
chassis. The heat is transferred to the nitrogen as it passes over the
inductor, and then from the nitrogen to the case as it passes through
the air duct. The heat is transferred from the case to the outside air
and mounting structures by a combination of conduction, convection, and
radiation."

Keep in mind that the coupler is rated at a kilowatt continuous duty in
harsh environments. If your circumstances are kinder and gentler to the
equipment you might get away with using pressurized dry air. Me? I use
nitrogen.

I'm not sure of the controller on the 2601. (I have the RF-601 and the
coupler unit itself looks identical to the 2601.) On the RF-601 you can
run in automatic mode with an appropriate Harris transmitter (RF-350K,
etc.) or you can run in Manual mode where you directly control the
tuning. This means you can use the coupler with virtually any source of
RF, even ham gear. I think this is what you mean by 'stand alone
installation' and, if so, the answer is yes.

Harris gear is excellent -- among the best in the world. Buy that thing
before someone else gets it..

73,
--
HZ
Old July 30th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hank, can you please email me? qrzdotcom

Old August 1st 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Hank Zoeller" wrote in message
Bob VK4BYX wrote:

Do you need to
pressurise with nitrogen to achieve full specs of 1KW average power?

Me? I use
nitrogen.

I have used a company called Air Liquide. They have all kinds of gasses in
all size tranks with gauges, hoses, fittings, etc. No preference for them
.... it just worked that way.