Old October 2nd 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,alt.baldspot,rec.radio.amateur.misc,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.west-virginia

Default Galaxy DX99V, is it legal or illegal?

Alex wrote:
Hi Everyone,

My brother recently purchased a Galaxy DX99V radio from a local pawn
shop for $100, and just looking for a CB radio to take over the road we
found this radio to be advertised as a 10m radio for ham operators
(which I am licensed, he is not), but it also does 11m for CB.

I'm still completely green with radios (been licensed for just 6 weeks
now), but it's my understanding that such a radio would be illegal. If
a device is type accepted for CB frequenies on 11m it would not legally
be able to transmit on 10m ham frequencies.

After reading some ads on this radio I'm seeing it advertised as a 10m
amateur radio, but looking at it it's obviously geared for CB radio
folks. I also can't see any sign that it's type accepted by the FCC.
With all this I'm guessing it's an illegal radio, but just thought I'd
ask if anyone can verify this.

We did test it, and yes, it can transmit on the CB channels amoung
others.

Thanks --

Alex

alex,
it doesn't matter........the fcc don't really care. the robot voice is
really cool on that radio. i bought a robot-echo mic for use on my 2
meter moon bounce and it sounds great!

Old October 3rd 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,alt.baldspot,rec.radio.amateur.misc,alt.west-virginia

Default forgin woger the kook

forgin woger the kook

Old October 4th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,alt.baldspot,rec.radio.amateur.misc,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.west-virginia

wrote in message
oups.com...

Alex wrote:
[...]

WRONG! The radio IS illegal and especially illegal to use on 11 Meters. This
radio appears on FCC's Office of Technology list of non-certified radios and
is not to be used as a CB.

FCC HAS been citing people for using "export" radios, has been after
truckers operating ON 10 Meters without license, AND has cited/fined a
number of CB dealers and truck stops for selling them. They include Pilot
Travel Centers ($90,000 settlement), Love's Travel Stops ($25,000), TA,
Flying J, and others. Flying J will likely be getting a fine over the Cobra
150 and 200 series "export" radios soon. Trucking companies include, UPS,
FedEx, Quality Carriers, Superior Carriers, Tidewater Transit, United Van
Lines, JW Randolph, Melton Truck Lines, Cardinal Express, a whole list with
MORE pending. Individuals in Texas and Oklahoma have been warned to stop
operating with "export" (10 Meter) radios and excessive power. So, yes, FCC
DOES care and intends to stop the theft of the 10 Meter band by unlicense
people and the sales of
uncertified "CB" radios. You *might* get away with it, you might not.

Old August 15th 09, 09:42 PM
505 505 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
oups.com...

Alex wrote:
[...]

Technically illegal, yes. Widely used by thousands and thousands of CB'ers who have never had a problem with the FCC raiding their home, car or truck? Yes. I wouldn't worry about it no matter what the "holier than thou" ham geeks say. I've been a ham for over 13 years and never had a problem with what I run. I run my Galaxy 99 with a D104 microphone into a 16 transistor amplifier and see over 4000 watts PEP of loud, crystal clear audio on 11 meters.

The DX99v is one of the best 10/11 meter mobiles out there. Use it to your hearts content and enjoy! It was a great buy for $100.
Old August 16th 09, 04:53 AM
Senior Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Alex wrote:
[...]

The radio IS illegal for anyone but a licensed amateur radio op. to use. At best it's a piece of junk that most self respecting ops won't have because of all the junk installed in them!! WHY would anyone who took communications seriously want to sound like a freakin robot? Ops of this junk need to grow up in a major way! The last time someone brought me one to put a mic on,it met up with a LARGE hammer!! I have no idea what happened,lol!

Old December 16th 09, 08:54 AM
Member

Alex wrote:
[...]

Basically, it boils down to personal INTEGRITY, MORAL OBLIGATION, and personal HONOR; and a willingness to comply with the simple FCC Rules and Regs. The 'exports' aren't certificated [formly type excepted] and as they can be modified for illegal purposes, aren't even legal, to be sold in the United States; no matter what else you may have heard or read. Do you really need to 'screw up' the RF spectrum for everyone else with units which, in the majority of cases would FAIL an honorable knowledgeable technicians' bench test? An automotive comparison, might be that you can own and drive a high performance sports car, but where can you legally 'open her up' and experience the cars full potential. Not too many places, without disregarding everyone elses well being. These exports are noted for out of band harmonics, along with a plethora of other technical problems. I personally maintain a high standard, and will NOT accept any of these units
for repair.

Pilot Travel Centers Fined $125,000! Jerry CB 107 December 10th 04 04:49 AM
fs galaxy dx99v George Kinzer Swap 1 June 29th 04 04:05 PM
FS Galaxy DX99v George Kinzer CB 0 June 28th 04 04:24 AM
keyclown radio dealers busted in spokane WA and walcott IW I Am Not George CB 1 April 17th 04 07:50 PM
New CBer, asking about Galaxy CB radios nunjadam bizniss CB 12 November 12th 03 11:09 PM