How do I make a cheap but good pirate radio antenna

Old July 26th 03, 02:38 AM
'Doc

Default How do I make a cheap but good pirate radio antenna

"Dominick(dblacklab)" wrote:

Can anyone help me "homebrew" a goos FM Pirate radio antenna?
Help! Please!

Step One:
Find an unused pirate (preferably FM).

Step Two:
Make feedline connections to pirate.

Step Three:
Feed signal to pirate.
Old July 26th 03, 11:58 AM
David Robbins

sure, take a resistor rated to dissipate as much power as your transmitter,
encase in metal can, add connector, and away you go.

Old July 26th 03, 12:58 PM
[email protected]

"Dominick(dblacklab)" wrote:

Can anyone help me "homebrew" a goos FM Pirate radio antenna?
Help! Please!

This guy asks a logical question and you people have to pull his chain.

Wake the heck up.

Dom, all I use is a 14 gage wire as high in the trees and conected to my
radio.

Works good.
Old July 26th 03, 01:41 PM
Dennis Kaylor

wake the hell up??
they are awake and doing exactly as they should it would be illegal to
build and use a pirate radio station and if anyone helped him it would
be aiding and a betting and could cause a licensed ham to lose the
licenese he worked so hard for
if this guy cant figure out how to build a simple antenna he will never
get the transmitter working he should stick with internet broadcasting

Old July 26th 03, 11:23 PM
Dr. Slick

"Dominick(dblacklab)" wrote in message ...
Can anyone help me "homebrew" a goos FM Pirate radio antenna?
Help! Please!

You can make a 1/4 wave vertical antenna very easily. If you only need
it to work for a short while, then you can use cheesy materials as
follows:

Get a UHF panel mount receptacle, SO-239. Find some brass rod that will
fit into the solder lug on the connector. you will need about a 30"
length of this for the element. The formula is length(inches) =
2800/freq(MHz). Solder the rod into the connector's center pin.

Drill the necessary five holes to mount the connector in a brass sheet
that's available at hobby stores. Use .031" or .062" thick brass. Then
solder four 36" lengths of brass rod to the plate, fanning out
horizontally in four directions, to make ground radials for the antenna.
Bend each radial downward about 45 degrees.

You can mount the antenna by bolting some angle iron to the brass plate,
and drilling holes for a mast clamp in the vertical part of the angle
iron.

This antenna will be about 50 ohms.

Take a look at http://home.tbbs.net/~bhammond/FM_ANT/ to see how it's done.

The next type you could consider is the "j-pole". Again, this has an
unbalanced 50 ohm match (if constructed correctly), and is quite easy to
attach to a mast. http://www.hamuniverse.com/jpole.html is a handy
calculator for getting the length right.

A quick Google search for antenna types would definately help you out!

Slick (pasting from other posts)

Old July 27th 03, 04:29 AM
kb8yio

yeah get two pieces of tubing......... 468 divided by the freq in use...
cut in half.... separate at least 2 inchs attach coax cable ...

Old July 27th 03, 06:45 AM
Dave Platt

In article , 'Doc wrote:

Can anyone help me "homebrew" a goos FM Pirate radio antenna?
Help! Please!

Step One:
Find an unused pirate (preferably FM).

Step Two:
Make feedline connections to pirate.

Direct connection to coax. Do not use ladder line. Do not use a balun.

History indicates quite strongly that most pirates were unbalanced.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old July 27th 03, 08:51 AM
'Doc