Old June 25th 07, 02:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Bowes seal fast

Its my month for finding odd stuff .

Whats the history on this . I know it heats up tire patches . Did they
patch tubless tires with it too ? What age is it ?

Old June 25th 07, 03:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Ken G." wrote in message
Its my month for finding odd stuff .

Whats the history on this . I know it heats up tire patches . Did they
patch tubless tires with it too ? What age is it ?

It's for inner tube patching. Called the hot patch, they actually vulcanized
the patch onto the surface of the tube. Probaby ca. 1940's. Very nice
looking unit.
regards,
Tom

Old June 25th 07, 03:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

"Ken G." wrote in message
Its my month for finding odd stuff .

Whats the history on this . I know it heats up tire patches . Did they
patch tubless tires with it too ? What age is it ?

I've never used one of these hot patch setters, but I've seen them used. They
are used to press the rubber patch onto inner tubes after it has been heated in
order to fully vulcanize the patch to the inner tube. I don't think they are
used on tubeless tires any more, although I saw them used on some years ago.
The procedure was to clean the area to be patched, then use a rasp to rough up
the tube, and then apply a rubber solvent to the tube. Finally, the patch,
which contained a flammable layer was applied and lit with a match. The clamp
was then tightened over the patch to complete the vulcanizing process.
Don't think I ever remember a patched inner tube failing, at least not where the
patch was applied. I have had two tubeless tires fail after being fixed; one
bias ply tire and one radial... the plugs they use just aren't really
vulcanized to the tire like the hot patches were.
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Old June 25th 07, 05:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

It was very nasty dirty when i brought it home . It took 2 or 3 hours to
clean it up .
I did some googling and turned up zero about any form of vintage such
item .
Looks like `seal fast` is still in business today .

Old June 25th 07, 08:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

DaveM wrote:

[...]

You can still buy a version of this for smaller tubes since cars went tubeless. The
"patch" is on one side of a metal "cup" filled with a flammible material. You clamp
the cup to the tube and ignite the filler on the back of the "cup" to vulcanize it. It
works well. That hot patch setter was common in garages through the depression and
well into the 60s when tubeless tires became the norm. You occasionally find them
today in older shops.

personal observation My father loves this system. he hasn't bought a $5-10 inner
tube in 30 years. He's a very happy hillbilly. I know of one trailer tire that has 4
layers of this patch in one area and 3 other patches by themselves, and it still holds
air, for now. There are other situations, but I ain't going there. There comes a time
when you really need to spend the $10 for a new tube. (like, maybe when it has a hole
in it?).End Personal observation.

Old June 26th 07, 07:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Bowes seal fast - 1 attachment

DaveM wrote:

I've never used one of these hot patch setters, but I've seen them
used. They are used to press the rubber patch onto inner tubes after
it has been heated in order to fully vulcanize the patch to the inner

Yep

Attached Thumbnails
Bowes seal fast-3.jpg
Old June 26th 07, 10:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Yyppa wrote:

DaveM wrote:

I've never used one of these hot patch setters, but I've seen them
used. They are used to press the rubber patch onto inner tubes after
it has been heated in order to fully vulcanize the patch to the inner

Yep

[Image]

A European Commodore 64?

prove it.